Stihl 461 tuning with tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed198899

Reaction score
I have a stihl 461 with dual port exhaust cover stock port trying to get advice on ruining carb with stihl edt9 tachometer. I tried to do it are the number son tack constantly changing. Find it hard to get a exact reading or do I go with lowest number that comes up with tachometer. Thanks

I have a stihl 461 with dual port exhaust cover stock port trying to get advice on ruining carb with stihl edt9 tachometer. I tried to do it are the number son tack constantly changing. Find it hard to get a exact reading or do I go with lowest number that comes up with tachometer. Thanks

Id go with the highest number it reads. you know the idle rpm and MAX rpm it is supposed to be at?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

The tach is constantly changing I assumed it would stay in a small general area not all over

They all so that.... unless you pay for a super nice one.

It should have a feature to display highest rpm read.

That 13500 is supposed to be your “max high running”. You will see small spikes past that but it should most be at or under that.... IMO.

461 has a 13,5 limited coil. I don't know of a tach that will read anything close to the limiter.
I'd richen it up until you hear the rpm drop below the limiter and try it right there around 13,4 - 13,5. Without using the tach

461 has a 13,5 limited coil. I don't know of a tach that will read anything close to the limiter.
I'd richen it up until you hear the rpm drop below the limiter and try it right there around 13,4 - 13,5. Without using the tach

You dont know of a tach that will read that high....?
The one i have reads up to 16,000. Hardline brand.

You dont know of a tach that will read that high....?
The one i have reads up to 16,000. Hardline brand.

Lots of them read that high, but that's not what I mean.
It's when you get within 100 or so rpm of the limiter that the tachs go haywire. On a limited coil, they won't read correctly once you hit the limiter

Lots of them read that high, but that's not what I mean.
It's when you get within 100 or so rpm of the limiter that the tachs go haywire. On a limited coil, they won't read correctly once you hit the limiter

Thank you for the explanation sir.

Latest posts

Back