Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend that is in hospice care and his family is taking his gun collection to auction to help pay the bills. He's a lefty so most of his stuff doesn't fit me. He has Montana's, Dakota's, Ula's, Nula's, Coopers, Kimber's. But he also has 13 Ruger #1's and #3's. The family let a select group of friends buy anything we wanted before it went to sale. I just wanted something of Steve's as a keepsake, so I bought a Ruger #3 in 25-35. It is a custom barrel and comes with the original 375 Winchester barrel. I also got a Leupold VariX3 1.5X5 to go on it. Nice little scope for a nice little rifle. I'll get pics up when I get the scope mounted. I also bought 4 boxes of Hornady 110 gr FTX ammo and 200 rounds of new brass. Should keep me stocked up for a while. He also had a Ruger #1 in 38-55 I wanted, but I just didn't have the cash right now. Just spent 10K on a hunting cabin and bought a new JD X540. If I'm lucky I'll have some cash flowing by the time his guns go to auction and I might get a chance to buy the other 2 guns I wanted. It's sad when a friend gets sick and goes downhill so fast. Steve's 78 and last fall he was working, driving, shooting, and hunting. He was in an accident in November, swerved to miss a herd of deer in the road. Totaled his Tundra, and when the air bag popped, it cracked his sternum. While in the hospital for the accident they found his stomach was full of tumors. Since the first of the year he has lost 50 pounds and sleeps 16-18 hours a day. He was a suite and tie guy, but fit in with us blue collar guys, like he belonged. He is a member of our every other week lunch bunch that meets at Barley and Hops for a couple IPA's. We haven't met since he got sick. It's kind of creepy buying his guns before he passes, but his son said the the hospice bill for last month was $18,000. I guess that's why we collect all the stuff we do, to ease the burden on the kids, when it's time to cash out.
Sorry to hear about your friend Joe.
Good you were able to help out the kids, and I'm sure he's glad that some of the guns are going to folks who will appreciate what they are as well as where they came from :).

We've got a few here in West Michigan. Just cleaned one up on my property last fall that had tipped over. Sound familiar?
Just last weekend coming back from Ohio I was looking at a stand of trees thinking what the heck are those, had to be about 50-60', sumac I'm pretty sure :surprised3:.

bark looks scaly to me, oak isn't scaly

I think you may be wrong. If they designed the engine to run on high test, then had to modify the tune to enable it to run on regular (due to a court order), and if the computer detects the octane level (maybe just through knock sensors) then it will modify more than just the timing. Likely also boost level and VCT. The owners manual would not recommend high test if the engine were not programmed to benefit from it. Timing alone would not make a great difference.

While the ecu does indeed control the max boost pressure it would not normally be varied based on any fuel sensor or the knock sensor, other than possibly putting the engine into limp mode if it is not running within limits. Maybe it does on your new truck, but I've not heard of it being done.

I would imagine the computer increases boost (by controlling the waste gate) until the knock sensors indicate not to, which would be at higher pressure with premium fuel. I don't understand why it would not be that simple. Even my current Mustang (2006) uses the computer and knock sensors to control the wastegate and thereby the boost from my Whipple SC. Upgrading to the unit with the intercooler (which cools the boosted charge) makes an unbelievable difference, even w/o changing the octane of the fuel.

The intercooled unit (compared to the non intercooled unit) not only provides 100 more HP, but the drivability is night and day different. The intercooled unit drives like it is factory stock and is very responsive. The non intercooled unit felt like it had severe turbo lag.

Ford Racing provided the 50 State emissions legal tune for the Whipple installation.

Wow, with intercoolers!!!

I don't think Ford is coming out with the Ecoboost 462 till next year!

But I will tell you, on behalf of the Mustang, a little bit of boost makes a lot of difference! Turns a small block into a Big Block performer!

Amazing how that little 2.7 liter 6 moves that big 4WD truck! This is my 4th Boosted Vehicle, and I like em! Great mileage for the performance.

1) 1985 T Bird Turbo Coupe (4 cyl turbo); 2 1992 T Bird SC (V-6 SC), 3) 2006 Mustang Aftermarket SC (8 cyl SC), 4) 2019 F-150 Ecoboost (V-6 Turbo).

Well, I went out and got a heaping loaf in the 8 foot bed today after mowing my lawn. Honey locust and Ash. Somebody already got to the Oak. Had to put the F-250 in 4 low, as it was quite muddy. Going back for another load tomorrow before it starts raining at 3 pm. The pic is dumped wood by the splitter. 1/2 a truck bed load.
b3ff897e997daf2f8ae27426329daf74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Mike, those direct injection injectors are quite problematic indeed. I’ll give you a couple cans of a fuel additive you should run in a full tank every oil change.

If your lucky you have the duel injection ( port and DI) this slows the inevitable carbon buildup on the intake valves.

If you have JUST a DI engine carbon will be an issue sooner unless you frequently use things like this

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-service-pack-1-kit-05320.html

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Well, I went out and got a heaping loaf in the 8 foot bed today after mowing my lawn. Honey locust and Ash. Somebody already got to the Oak. Had to put the F-250 in 4 low, as it was quite muddy. Going back for another load tomorrow before it starts raining at 3 pm. The pic is dumped wood by the splitter. 1/2 a truck bed load.

Mowing the yard?

I might rake up all the dog poop this weekend. Grass is just starting to get green in a few spots. Normally don't need to mow till the end of May, early June but may be early this year.

Mowing the yard?

I might rake up all the dog poop this weekend. Grass is just starting to get green in a few spots. Normally don't need to mow till the end of May, early June but may be early this year.

I’ve mowed 4 times, already. Maybe, should not have fertilized.

Latest posts

Back