New guy in NS - Sachs Dolmar content!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to say hi! I'm Duncan... I'm just outside Halifax, NS and am starting to play around a bit with saws. Had a 42cc Poulan for general cleanup around the house... picked up a Granberg clone Alaskan mill at Princess Auto, and rapidly discovered the limits of discount saws and chisel chains.

A "wanted" post on Kijiji has yielded a real gem... an old Sachs Dolmar 133 (85cc!) which, once dusted off from 15 years under a workbench, fired right up and runs great!

General plan is to grab a milling chain and make this a permanent CSM. We're on a couple of acres and we've had a couple of ~22" black spruce come down recently, so I'll be learning on that and trying to mill all the materials for a chicken coop that's in the works... after which I'll have to see what I can source in the way of logs!!

Pics to be added shortly, since we all know this thread is useless without pictures!!

Duncan
Halifax, NS
Sachs Dolmar 133, Poulan Pro 4218

Just keep the chain as sharp as can be, and keep on milling untill you are wanting for more speed [emoji106]. Bigger saw gives a bit more speed.
And then you see a bandmill at work...
A used bandmill is cheaper than a new 880 or 3120.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Welcome Duncan. I use my milling saws for firewood also, so I don't use ripping chain. I use out of the box Stihl chain. With a little practice you can get a very nice cut. I milled some Red Oak for mantle pieces. After air drying for 3 years, I ran them through my Rigid planer. They took 3 passes to take all of the saw marks out of the wood.

log.jpg Sachs.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pictures... a first 9' section to play with... and the saw, which runs like the bejeebus. Lost the light, will have to keep going this weekend!

Welcome!! There's a few people from NS here as well. I'm your neighbor in NB :):happybanana:

Nice saw! May I ask how much you paid for it?

Nice saw! May I ask how much you paid for it?

It was a bit of a gift! The seller offered it to me for $25 not running and without a starter handle... then he got it running and put a handle on it, and wouldn't take any extra money! So with the $99 chainsaw mill from Princess Auto, I'm into this for a whopping $124 so far...

It was a bit of a gift! The seller offered it to me for $25 not running and without a starter handle... then he got it running and put a handle on it, and wouldn't take any extra money! So with the $99 chainsaw mill from Princess Auto, I'm into this for a whopping $124 so far...
Merry Christmas!

Not if you want to cut bigger logs.
True. It's a shame the premium goes exponential beyond 75cm (30"). But then again.
I'm already really bored milling 90cm oak with my 6hp saw. The sound of a 880 or 3120 would make it a tad less boring I presume.
You can get a new 1 meter bandmill with a 10kW motor for the price from three new 880's.
You don't find those second hand a lot overhere.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I just took the stock muffler off my Super 1050 and put a stack muffler off an old C72 on it, it's plenty loud to make you think you're going faster than you really are!

So, big news... I bought three, 14' oak trunks (largest is 31" at the base) to get myself motivated.

I then discovered that large bars in the D033 mount are non-existent. :( Finally found a new old stock (NOS) Canadian-made (woo hoo, eh?) Cannon 36" bar in (what looks like to me) a hybrid large mount Stihl / Dolmar style. In any case, it's 14mm and I can make it work.
Even better, it's in .058, not .063, so (while not the .050 I was looking for) it should make for a little less waste!

Now all I have to do is grab an Oregon sprocket in .404 and a couple of milling chains, and I should be in business. :D :D :D 85cc German saw, big ol' Canadian bar, and some red oak.

Attachments

• Cannon1.jpg
    Cannon1.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Cannon2.jpg
    Cannon2.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Cannon3.jpg
    Cannon3.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Cannon4.jpg
    Cannon4.jpg