Muffler gasket. Metal or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cheap arse barstards do not want to pay for a new gasket, let alone an estimate...
Because they are members here in good standing, and get huffy if anyone says anything that hurts their feelings.
But, whatever....

That's right. I'm a cheap arse bastard who don't like spendin a bunch o cash on an old saw. That's why I bought new ones.
And none of my cheap arse old saws are worth payin a hunerd bucks an hour to fix.
And if'n I hadn't lost the other half of that gasket I'd'a prolly glued it back together and stuck it back in there.

.....now that lawn tractor gas tank is a different story. I couldn't buy a replacement if I wanted to. NLA

LOL, so you don't work on this **** for a living.
No. I work on stuff when I have to because I'm a cheap bastard with a general distrust of mechanics. Not that I don't really trust them, but I can throw darts as good or better than a good chunk of'm.
I've stabbed a 4x4 tranny off my chest on a cold concrete barn floor, pried open map sensor boxes and glued'm back together....and just last week spliced some o2 sensor wires(for a friend) that may or may not have been incidentally nicked by a mechanic while changing a small radiator hose.
I tell ya, I'm a cheap bastard.
And I just bought a lawn tractor with 4 flat tires and a leaky gas tank. Runs great after washin out the tank and puttin a new fuel filter on it. And you know that green tire slime really works!!
I been thinkin about gettin a can of that as-seen-on-tv flex-seal next!

Flex crap won't fix a leaking gutter, I know. What brand and model lawnmower ya got? And yes I use fiber/metal gaskets, hate the all steel ones. If the fiber/metal one is still good, I reuse it, metal ones won't reseal.

Steve
It's an old, I don't know 2010-ish maybe, Craftsman LT2000, 917.289070.
With a 19hp single cylinder Briggs and Stratton, 42 inch cut.
I like it better than the old 46" GT3000. Has a step through center and is just more maneuverable around obstacles.

Might need a new muffler gasket

The cheap arse barstards do not want to pay for a new gasket, let alone an estimate...
Because they are members here in good standing, and get huffy if anyone says anything that hurts their feelings.
But, whatever....
I hear ya on the Cheap Bastards **** Harley ! lol. Since retirement , I have been repairing small engines for over 15 yrs mostly saws , weedeaters and mowers etc. However check out the Graphite sheet packing i previously provided . It is soft , pliable , seals extremely well and is not effected by heat , fuel or extreme pressures . The inconel stainless wire or foil encapsulates it preventing it from falling apart . I actually have been able to reuse old gaskets ! I think the last half sheet I bought 3'x5' cost me $48 . 10 yrs ago , have made over 50 small engine gaskets and half dozen diesel & gas auto exhaust manifold gasket sets , still have over half left lol.

It's an old, I don't know 2010-ish maybe, Craftsman LT2000, 917.289070.
With a 19hp single cylinder Briggs and Stratton, 42 inch cut.
I like it better than the old 46" GT3000. Has a step through center and is just more maneuverable around obstacles.

Might need a new muffler gasket
Have the same mower. It just got a new coil and flywheel fan :( very reliable machine as long as I put stuff back together properly !

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Have the same mower. It just got a new cool and flywheel fan :( very reliable machine

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I was going to take the plunge and get a nice used Toro zero turn. But when I went back for a second look it was gone.

So...I went over to this pawn shop that had a bunch of mowers sitting out back for a long time and picked out one that still had all the paint and a decent size engine.
It had been there since 2017, so I got it for $150 out the door. Took it home, charged the battery, bought a gallon jug of tire slime, a new fuel filter, and voila'!
Hoping the plastic welding works on the tank, as new ones aren't available any more. And I didn't really want to buy one anyway.
Seems kind of loud...so maybe a leaky muffler gasket. Or not.

The old GT3000 with 23hp Kohler burns oil and fouls one plug, needs a reed or a head gasket. So now I'll have a chance to fix that.
And I may even be inspired to put new head gaskets on the 20hp B&S v-twin in the old Huskee Platinum Series! Probably needs a muffler gasket too.

Correction: that Huskee looks to have an opposed twin.

I tried to fix the little cracks in the bottom of the plastic gas tank on my riding lawn mower with a hot glue gun....but the gas melted it. Gunna try welding with detergent bottle sticks next. :blob2:
Colt , Bondex ltd. has a good quality cold welding product for urethene , polyurethane , polycarbonate & nitrile plastics . Also Devcon has a slick hot stick plastic welder for the same man made plastics which will work on your application !

Those old metal/asbestos ones were the best,
but too many "arborists" were horrified and offended!!!
Hell , use to encounter asbestos content in brake linings , ceiling tile and flooring , electrical components & wiring insulation along with various steam distribution auxiliary equipment and lines , in my 30 + yrs in Heavy Industry . As long as it did not become friable air borne particulate all was good !

Colt , Bondex ltd. has a good quality cold welding product for urethene , polyurethane , polycarbonate & nitrile plastics . Also Devcon has a slick hot stick plastic welder for the same man made plastics which will work on your application !
Broken, thanks for the suggestions.
But I checked out that Devcon Plastic Welder and it said not to use it on polythylene(aka HDPE)
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/adhesives_glues_sealants/plastic_welder/278
Said to use some other TAP product.

But....bein the cheap bastard that I am, and with a couple of old Tide jugs and an old Crapsman solder gun on hand....
20190426_211739.jpg 20190426_212320.jpg 20190426_212407.jpg 20190426_212331.jpg 20190426_212815.jpg
I mighta missed a spot. I'll know in the morning.

And then....the muffler gasket!

A lot of hot rods use copper gaskets...and I was thankin.....those machines at the tourist traps that flatten pennies......but I don't know where one is locally.......but we got a train track.....and I got a drill and a dremel

But I checked out that Devcon Plastic Welder and it said not to use it on polythylene(aka HDPE)
https://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/adhesives_glues_sealants/plastic_welder/278
Colt , the Devcon hot glue system is a 800 watt elect gun with 3-15 # air pressure system . It came with solvent and various hot sticks for various plastic products . May have been a promo product . I will look , I know Chicago freight and Princess auto had the same unit . lol
But....bein the cheap bastard that I am, and with a couple of old Tide jugs and an old Crapsman solder gun on hand....
View attachment 732432 View attachment 732433 View attachment 732434 View attachment 732435 View attachment 732436

Broken, that's what I thought you meant. Like a hot glue gun. But I didn't see it.
And bein as I'm cheap, and impatient, and too lazy to keep lookin, I just went ahead with the Tide bottle weld. And it appears to have solved the issue!

Broken, that's what I thought you meant. Like a hot glue gun. But I didn't see it.
And bein as I'm cheap, and impatient, and too lazy to keep lookin, I just went ahead with the Tide bottle weld. And it appears to have solved the issue!
Yeah very similar to hot glue gun concept , however it had a adjustable hot air system which produced a puddle of molten plastic much the same as electrode metal fusion welding . You just added plastic rod to form a structural bead . Not cheap $89.00 . I needed it for my 2001 tracker plastic fuel tank to save on the replacement cost for the tank of $229.00 . Also used it for atv plastic repairs for my Son . He still has it lol . Looks like you have your problems solved at a fraction of the cost .. Cudo, s !

View attachment 732432 View attachment 732433 View attachment 732434 View attachment 732435 View attachment 732436

Is that city ham?

Or Proscuitto?

Latest posts

Back