Stihl 041 AV won’t “accelerate”

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle_Adam

Forum smart but 2stroke stupid....
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Just got finished with a mild rebuild/repair on my 041AV.

Seen here:https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/thoughts.329109/

Soon as I wrapped up I fired up the saw without the B/C on just to see if I had succeeded or not. The ol girl fired up on the 3/4th pull and since it was 3am I left it at that. Well today when I put the B/C on and fired her up again I came to realize that something was amiss :/

I’m sure the terminology is wrong but I’m describing it like this. I the chain just will not accelerate to a useable speed.....

Vid:

I’ve double checked everything i did and touched during the rebuild & re-tuned the carb to the best of my abilities.

So here’s my question(s):

- did i do something wrong during the rebuild?(if I did, what was it?)

- assuming the rebuild was ok, then what’s up with the saw?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all knowledge/tips you may share!

Adam

I agree with Cuinrearview, seems like the brake is engaged or maybe the chain is too tight. Another possible cause is the clutch may be slipping, or not staying engaged (isolater clutch styles).

Is this a points saw or electronic?? Video says AVE (Stihl86) Your opening post says 041AV (HarleyT) I am with Harley T by the sound of it What led you to do the rebuild???? Was It running perfect before rebuild? Was it acting before rebuild as it is acting now?

Interesting, it almost sounds like a timing/advance issue where you are firing too late. If it ran long enough, myself, I'd expect the exhaust would be super hot very quickly.

If it were too early, you would instantly smell it.

I do agree though, it could be an issue with your points, possibly with the spring. If it were a Briggs, I'd suspect the arm, but I do not recall my 041 having one.

Sorry guys, I’m on an out of town job right now with minimal cell service.

To answer some of the questions above:

- Correct it’s an 041AVE
- I don’t THINK that it has points, at least not that I saw. But to be honest I saw electronic on the top of the saw and just assumed.
- chain is correctly placed on the rim sprocket(made this mistake once too)
- muffler is clear, I checked it during the “rebuild”
- the rebuild was done due to this same issue and general lack of consistent performance(good or bad)
- spark screen has been cleaned

If I missed a question or anybody has more lemme know. I’ll do my best to check back when I can/have service.

Thanks for all the help!

Adam

Just my comment about timing/advance.

You may have play in your key or if it is electronic, the trigger plate may need to be rotated slightly.

Back