Can I run a 28" bar on a MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can it pull a 28" bar and chain

• Yes

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Needs bigger oiler

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a MS361 a few months ago and have kinda neglected it till now. I've decided to put a bar and chain on it and I have a brand new 28" bar laying around so I want to know, can I run it and will it get enough oil to the bar? I will primarily be cutting 10-20" softwood, no hardwood. So, can it and will it?

Mod or swap out the guts of the oiler to the HO and it will oil it. Run full skip and it won't take so long to file and it will pull it. Do yourself a favor and gill the side of the muffler, pull the limiters and retune or even better peel open the muffler, gut it and mod it with a proper screen and deflector.

Mod or swap out the guts of the oiler to the HO and it will oil it. Run full skip and it won't take so long to file and it will pull it. Do yourself a favor and gill the side of the muffler, pull the limiters and retune or even better peel open the muffler, gut it and mod it with a proper screen and deflector.

That Muffler Mod is a devil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hmm, the 361 will turn any chain around any bar that mounts up. I frequently run a 25" on mine, but I do that because I can reach things close to the ground without bending over. If your only cutting smaller stuff as you indicated is should be fine. The standard oiler will be maxed out for sure, so cut slow. Than much chain easily will bog down the 361 and put a huge stress on the motor if you are cutting anything over 18-20". As soon as I'm cutting anything over 20" I want my 660, that will pull a 25-28" bar with AUTHORITY.

I was talking to a neighbor about it and he suggested turning the oiler up and putting in 3/4 of a tank of gas to a full tank of bar oil to ensure I didn't run out of oil before I run out of mix. Do y'all think that would work? On a side note, he also gave me a partial skip chain for the saw for free! So far I have $58 invested into the saw and all it needs to be a runner is to be tuned.

24" is about all the 361 could handle in hard wood ! Softwood it has the displacement , however as mentioned your pushing the envelope on chain oiling rate . I would advise Premium winter grade oil with good tackifier !

I have a 24'' bar combo that I sometimes run on my 362. 28'' may be pushing it. If your just cutting 10 to 20'' wood why do you need a 28'' bar?
I run a 20'' on mine most of the time.

I bought a MS361 a few months ago and have kinda neglected it till now. I've decided to put a bar and chain on it and I have a brand new 28" bar laying around so I want to know, can I run it and will it get enough oil to the bar? I will primarily be cutting 10-20" softwood, no hardwood. So, can it and will it?
I tried running a 25in bar on my o36 pr0 it bogged down in hardwoods so I put that on my o44 and put a 20 in on the o36 both saws are good runners now I run carlton full chisel chain

You could run a 48'' bar on the saw, but why. Of course the saw will pull and it will actually cut wood, but why, I Had a 9' Pine tree one time and only a 056 to cut so I got a 48'' bar and cut the tree down. Because I am experienced and have enough skill to get the job done. It was at the time a one time effort and it was a little bit of an effort because the saw was being taxed. I have never needed the bar since. I have several 36'' bars so may sell the 48''. Unless you have a one time need for your 28'' as it has no value. Sell the bar throw away the bar it does not matter because the bar has no value. The longer bar will put a drag on the saw for no practical use. Buy a bar that you need and put a smile on your face because it will be a great match. Thanks

The 362 comes from the factory with a 25@ bar. With a full skip chain I think you will be ok. My 362 would go through oak no problem. As long as you don’t bury the tip you’ll be fine. Burying the tip seems to put a good load on it I think

Latest posts

Back