MS261 non Mtronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a non-mtronic MS 261 a few weeks ago. Dealer did not stock them but was able to order it from Virginia Beach. Funny, he originally thought they were priced the same, but it turned out to be $10 more than the mtronic. Well worth it to me, because I suspect the days are numbered for the old-school models. I’m sure the new technology is great, but I’d rather be in control of my machines rather than some dealer-proprietary software.

I just got a non-mtronic MS 261 a few weeks ago. Dealer did not stock them but was able to order it from Virginia Beach. Funny, he originally thought they were priced the same, but it turned out to be $10 more than the mtronic. Well worth it to me, because I suspect the days are numbered for the old-school models. I’m sure the new technology is great, but I’d rather be in control of my machines rather than some dealer-proprietary software.

I totally agree! I don’t actually need it but really want it just because I know I’ll be able to work on it my whole life. Can’t say that about the Mtronic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand where everyone is coming from regarding the ability to work on and tune. I’ve gone the other direction this year. After purchasing my first M-Tronic saw last fall I’m hooked. I now have three CM model saws and hope to add a couple more. I might be mistaken but it seems like my M-Tronic saws have more lug in a long hard cut. I also love the fact that they can idle for 30 seconds or ten minutes, stay running, and still throttle back up like you just got out of a cut. I’m very impressed so far. I work for a company that sell Stihl so I can just take a saw to work and plug it in when I have any issues.

I'm right with you on the 261 m-tronic! I've got one, and it is THE saw! I do the start up, warm up and boy, it put it to a log, and it zips through it like there is no tomorrow! I've got a 044 , 2 o26's and the 261, i've never had a saw that winds up like this one does and pulls like it does for the size it is. It literally cuts maple, red fir, ash, etc like a hot knife though butter.

I understand where everyone is coming from regarding the ability to work on and tune. I’ve gone the other direction this year. After purchasing my first M-Tronic saw last fall I’m hooked. I now have three CM model saws and hope to add a couple more. I might be mistaken but it seems like my M-Tronic saws have more lug in a long hard cut. I also love the fact that they can idle for 30 seconds or ten minutes, stay running, and still throttle back up like you just got out of a cut. I’m very impressed so far. I work for a company that sell Stihl so I can just take a saw to work and plug it in when I have any issues.

I'm right with you on the 261 m-tronic! I've got one, and it is THE saw! I do the start up, warm up and boy, it put it to a log, and it zips through it like there is no tomorrow! I've got a 044 , 2 o26's and the 261, i've never had a saw that winds up like this one does and pulls like it does for the size it is. It literally cuts maple, red fir, ash, etc like a hot knife though butter.

I was on the fence about the Mtronic, but went with the manual carb on the principles of 1) less to go wrong, 2) user serviceability, and 3) I’m used to tuning myself. I also think that non microprocessor controlled saws will not be around for much longer so that made me want to grab one.

I would hope that with a good tune it should be able to approach the performance of the Mtronic version, but I guess I’ll never know. I needed the lightest saw I could find that could pull a 20” bar and the 261 is a little beast.

Back