Buying used saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do you buy saws to sell sooner or later or are they keepers?

what do you think about buying used saws?
To me it’s a pig in a poke. Try to get the price low enough to add any repairs to be done.
The biggest problem I see is rebuilding the carb if it has spark and won’t run unless primed.

How about non running parts saws?
So far the parts saw I just purchased for $25 I found out some new iso mounts, bearings, piston, gaskets, seals she will run. I realize I’ll never get my money that I invested back but she will run again. A keeper for the collection.

I look at parts saws and see they can run again,,,,,,,,,,,I hate to part them out. The older smaller saws don’t bring much $$. The bigger cc saws the prices are climbing. Some are out of sight.

It keeps me busy and keeps my tools from rusting. Lol

Always resell, but never ends that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, I like to buy running saws. Or at least not far from it.
The unknown could make even a basket case cost more to fix than it's worth in the end. And I just don't want to sacrifice the time or energy a lot of times.
And just as important to me, in most cases, is the cosmetics of the saw.

Most used saws are bought with intention of using. To see if I'll like it better than what I already have. But always with the thought that I'd like to be able to recoup my money if I decide to sell it later on.

Some old saws were just bought because I like them. And because they were super cheap but complete saws.
Like the old Poulan 41, that I may use to power a trike.
20190316_163313.jpg
Or the Craftsman 2.3, that I kind of thought of as inexpensive art, even if I'd never use it.
20190221_141702.jpg
But I've yet to buy a "parts saw". Or a box of what used to be a chainsaw.

I think for gasoline powered saws new makes the most sense. Just an aftermarket ignition for a motorcycle costs the same as a medium sized new chainsaw. A hydraulic saw probably would buy used more likely. Battery chainsaws make for a nicer experience in my opinion and since a lot of what I do is cutting branches to 12 feet long and moving to piles with a dog nearby.

I suppose if the intent is to keep the tools from rusting that is fine but buy new, depreciate in the book keeping, buy new, makes the most sense for someone in business or someone with more fence lines to maintain (or name your tasks) than time.

Has anyone priced the early iso mounts lately. There’s two different prices one oem the other is am. The oem is $8/$11 and a.m. is $2.00.

I am def not a power buyer or seller, but I’ve never bought a saw for over 100$, and they were always running when I did.
I’ve always bought for two reasons, one is to keep it as a collector item, the other is to learn. I always accept with a learning saw (practice porting, rebuild etc) I could destroy it :)

I’ve never bought to re sell, but just the other day I was offered money for the poulan saw I inspected and ported.

I would love to get junk saws for parts etc however they are very hard to find, at least how I search for them anyways.
Older saws always sell for stupid amounts of money. Some a-home bought his husky 440 10 years ago, abused it , and now wants to sell it for 400$... sometimes like 50$ less than new lol!!!
Poulan 3316 saws are brand new 200$ here, on sale for 150$ sometimes. You goto the classifieds and these bozos want 200$ for a used one lmao.

Too bad for me ...

Saws that were once free or dirt cheap are called collectible or rare and the price goes from a $50 saw to $300/$600 saw. I come in and make a reasonable offer and get refused. Lol. But it’s silly what some are asking. Some saws aren’t complete. They parted it out, sold the good stuff and the skeleton is bare bones. They pull the levers, the springs and pins out of the flywheels then want to sell the flywheel. Trying to make every dime they can.

The $25 parts saw shows a scored piston but the cylinder is ok. I’m getting a bump, bump, bump, when I turn the crank with no cylinder. I think the crank bearings are shot and the magnets are causing the bump as they pass by the stator. The crank feels fine.

Your right they run them into the ground then want double what they paid for it. Has anyone seen the cost of the 288’s lately?

For me it depends on what I’m looking for at the time. There are sometimes that I enjoy fixing things and other times that I just want something that will run great from the get go.

I don’t ever plan on selling ANYTHING but sometimes it just happens.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I have saws to cut wood period. To sell a saw for why. Example I have a nice 041 AV and it never has had any problems or refused to start. A climber that worked for me owed me money so he gave me this 041 nearly new. So I list it on Fleabay and sell it for $200 maybe then box it up. I just spent at least one day to list it clean it pack it collect for it for why. I just went into the red $50 or $100. So I for most part selling saws has no value especially when me and my helper can earn a $100 an hour. Most of my saw I bought new run them until the crank goes thump then throw them in to the metal pile after they receive a little blessing for years of service. Thanks

I buy to keep. Bought my Mastercraft/Poulan 2300 not running but was told it was rebuilt carburetor. Paid $5, so I couldn't go wrong. Needed a fuel filter and lines which were not done at the carburetor rebuild. Last December I saw a used but not running Poulan 3314 for sale. Gave my offer of $20, and was accepted. Told his BIL gave him the saw as he could not get it running. Checked spark and compression when we met to pick it up. All was good. He forgot the filter and cover which I later picked up. Tried to get it running with fuel in the cylinder. Got it running, but no idle, and no adjusting worked. Thanks to this site, I pulled the bar and chain and saw the clutch spring broken. Replaced clutch, and now runs great.

You buy a used car and deal with any faults after sale unless otherwise agreed upon. On these forums ,you sell a saw and the buyer expects a bumper to bumper warranty.

When the seller expects 80% of original selling price for a 10 year old saw you can’t blame anybody for being a demanding buyer.

You buy a used car and deal with any faults after sale unless otherwise agreed upon. On these forums ,you sell a saw and the buyer expects a bumper to bumper warranty.

I have seen the sellers description not match the saw. They say the saw ran, they ran this saw. The fast idle lock is broken he couldn’t of started the saw. Another saw the carb needs rebuilding it doesn’t run. In both cases I got a partial refund to fix the saws.

I buy, fix, and resell saws as a winter hobby. I rarely keep the saws I fix but use the profits to support my late model saw habit. I’ve developed a reputation for selling quality used saws and generally have little trouble selling. I only deal in Stihl due to parts availability and easier resale. It is the only profitable hobby I have currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you buy saws to sell sooner or later or are they keepers?

To me it’s a pig in a poke. Try to get the price low enough to add any repairs to be done.
The biggest problem I see is rebuilding the carb if it has spark and won’t run unless primed.

How about non running parts saws?
So far the parts saw I just purchased for $25 I found out some new iso mounts, bearings, piston, gaskets, seals she will run. I realize I’ll never get my money that I invested back but she will run again. A keeper for the collection.

I look at parts saws and see they can run again,,,,,,,,,,,I hate to part them out. The older smaller saws don’t bring much $$. The bigger cc saws the prices are climbing. Some are out of sight.

It keeps me busy and keeps my tools from rusting. Lol
I do both bill, my hobby is collecting old saws and getting old saws running again, because like you Bill, I don't like to see a saw be broken up if it can be made right again within a realistic budget. I find it very therapeutic tinkering on old saws. when space is a premium you have to sell to make space for incoming non-runners for therapy. your never going to make a living flipping saws but it does subsidise the hobby very well, and keeps those old saws running. I have approx. 150 so far. the larger are making more $ as I think more people are getting into collecting them, as they are cheaper than cars etc. easier to work on, fast turnaround, and where you can fit one car/vehicle in a garage, you could probably fit 200 saws if stacked/shelved properly ? so you can see the appeal there. I recently purchased a Remington pl-6 for £50 in running order but cosmetically rough with 24" roller nose bar and chain for £50 = approx. $60 ? CD

I buy and sell everyday. I bought 13 junk saws a few days ago from a logger who doesn't log anymore. Most of them are MS660, 046, 066 and big old Homelites. I sold the UPS man 4 a few days ago as he was delivering one in a box. I had a couple just like his daddy had as he wanted them and a couple more smaller ones. I have a few keepers that I would hate to part with.

Back