New 462 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruz17

Reaction score
Bought a new 462 yesterday, after a tank and half of fuel the vibration damper bracket on the handle broke. Took it back to dealer and they said stihl is sold out of part. Not sure what to do now being as it could be a long time before part is in stock. Would a 441 or 461bracket work?
Thanks for any advice or input
Gabriel

Attachments

• C83B2F5B-AD1B-4F9B-9A33-9ED55B8B08FA.jpeg
    C83B2F5B-AD1B-4F9B-9A33-9ED55B8B08FA.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 71
  • E7836AF4-968B-4622-9352-74BCDD921E63.jpeg
    E7836AF4-968B-4622-9352-74BCDD921E63.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
I cannot answer if other brackets are compatible, but it may be possible to repair it just temporarily until you get a new one.
Looking at the pic carefully it looks as though the cable was retained by plastic and that part broke off.
If you put it in a vice and used a very small drill bit you could drill bit you could drill two holes to retain the lead end with finishing nails. Hack job yes but it may work and keep you going.

Hopefully someone will chime up and suggest a close enough part that is avail that requires little to no modification to work.

You could persue this another way in which you can tell them you are down a saw, and you need it to make a living. Ask the manager to take off the part from a demo model or a new one in box, install it for you and then they can wait on the part to come back in stock. If they say no I would tell them you’ll just take your business elsewhere because that is an incredibly reasonable request for a dealer to do.
You may have to walk but at least you now know they are not willing to give customer service and finding a new dealer is in your best interest

Bought a new 462 yesterday, after a tank and half of fuel the vibration damper bracket on the handle broke. Took it back to dealer and they said stihl is sold out of part. Not sure what to do now being as it could be a long time before part is in stock. Would a 441 or 461bracket work?
Thanks for any advice or input
Gabriel

I tell you , if that happened to one of our customers a new saw would be used as a donor or you get a refund. W T F is wrong with that dealer?????
And whats wrong with you? There's a fine line between being a nice guy and a played fool.

But that's just my opinion.

I tell you , if that happened to one of our customers a new saw would be used as a donor or you get a refund. W T F is wrong with that dealer?????
And whats wrong with you? There's a fine line between being a nice guy and a played fool.

But that's just my opinion.

Well it’s easy to get mad at people for not doing what we would have done, but some people just aren’t as confrontational as others. Sometimes it’s hard to deal hard in front of a dealer that’s a hard ass or intimidating. I will say if it was a grumpy short and aggressive guy at the counter I would probably not give my self the trouble to a confrontation. Other times when they arent that way it can be easier to get to a boiling point and start demanding things.
It’s true a lot of customers feel it’s a privilege to buy something from a dealer! It’s also true that some dealers believe this because they are the only ones within 4 hours driving distance. Sometimes it’s not worth the trouble cause you actually need them... fricken sucks but we can talk about examples all day in which dealers can get away with poor service...

My dealer would have handed me a new saw and sent me on my way. He would sell the broken one as used when the part came in and it was fixed. He did it for me after a tech left an air filter off of one of my saws and I ran it without checking. Im sorry this happened to you.

Well how did it cut before the breakdown? Some parts on these newer saws can be a pita to get as Stihl has learned to keep close control of the parts on these new ones. Probably order from overseas will be your best bet.... as Stihl is all about big money and control.

What is actually the problem?
Did a piece shear off where the spring screws on to the bracket? It doesn't visibly appear broken looking there. Just looks like it has sawdust on top but I would think it would have more thread as does the other end. Where is the piece then? Or is it the ball pulled through on the limiter cable? That's no big deal for a fix without the limiter. I am sure you can remove it from the other end or stop it from rattling.
or is It the bolt on the bracket is gone or striped?

If it is the spring thread from the bracket then
'wax' the lower spring. Rough the bracket where the ball goes and on top of the existing spring thread. Screw on the spring. Clean the outer spring so the tape sticks and tape the bottom of spring and drip it in from the top.
I am not sure what the best product to use but likely a urethane for the vibration.
A resin with some Kevlar strands
mixed in would do the job.

If that is actually the problem?

That dealer needs to step up to the plate if he has another saw or get the Stihl reps number and start shaking some people up.
A closed mouth don't get feed.

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up bringing it back to dealer for refund. It was the only 462 they had, so they couldn’t give me the part off another 462, to they’re defense they did bring that option up, however they didn’t seem to want to order another 462, but to wait until the bracket was in stock.
I took my refund and went to another shop who deals more quantity in saws, purchased a new 462.
I will keep that in mind if I get it stuck not to yank to hard.
Absolutely love the saw, it is my first pro saw. 2nd saw I have owned, my first is a stihl farm boss, the jump in class creates lots of excitement !
It had broke off in the molding where the spring ends, if that helps explain the picture. So the part that threads inside the spring was still in but the dealer must have took it off I’m guessing when I brought it back for them to look at.
Thanks for all of your time
Gabriel

All sound advice André but it should never break an AV base. It must be limited in the natural torque/work directions too. It should be designed to take a decent hit. I have taken my fallers axe to my wrap handle bars on my saws a half a dozen times ( 357, 372, 390) right then and there. Not ideal but the show must go on.
No the best of design but if that was all that was wrong with a saw.. that I broke that part now and then (that I had with) and I loved the saw then that works. Possibly it was flawed in the casting in this case but a don't think it is a good design anyway. They make this intricate 'side' limiter AV combo for 'extra protection' in mind but it is a weak spot. Husqavna have them molded with the gas tank on the 365/372 but they won't take a direct hit from there. This is on the front of the handlebar. As far as the cable idea goes up top there? That is a double edge sword. It may keep things true on miner side hits but if I stretch out a $10 mount or two or three (usually none).. once in a blue moon then I save the cost of $150 - $200 wrap handle because there was 'top give'. Then that's a better deal. Sometime you have extra wraps and other times you pay steep. I always bought OEM locally.

*EDIT^^^

Well it’s easy to get mad at people for not doing what we would have done, but some people just aren’t as confrontational as others. Sometimes it’s hard to deal hard in front of a dealer that’s a hard ass or intimidating. I will say if it was a grumpy short and aggressive guy at the counter I would probably not give my self the trouble to a confrontation. Other times when they arent that way it can be easier to get to a boiling point and start demanding things.
It’s true a lot of customers feel it’s a privilege to buy something from a dealer! It’s also true that some dealers believe this because they are the only ones within 4 hours driving distance. Sometimes it’s not worth the trouble cause you actually need them... fricken sucks but we can talk about examples all day in which dealers can get away with poor service...

It doesn’t have to be confrontational.

Glad the OP got some of satisfaction. Great saw. Might be the pound for pound champion, but use the compression release. Always. Starting the saw is built around it.

Latest posts

Back