Bar choices for a Husqvarna 61.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_289

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to put a new bar on my 61 restoration project. For what will be a low use saw when it's done, what is the best bar/length to go with. It always had a 16 on it that I remember. I'm thinking another 16" or an 18" pro grade bar. What's going to balance/handle better for farm type use?

My other thought is a 20" in 3/8 .50 rails so I can use the same chains I have for my 036. Just dont know if I need 2 20" saws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Depends on what your cutting . The Old 61 is quite capable of pulling 24" of chisel-tooth ! However most 60 cc class saw users prefer 20" overall or even a 18" bar if you are cutting primarily smaller trees or limbing mostly . Nice ole magnesium body saw !

How much would one of those lightweight 20" bars compare to a 16" solid bar? This whole thing started when I found an 026 Stihl with a 16" because I wanted something lighter than my 20" 036. Then I picked up a husqvarna 36, a Mac 10-10 and ended up bringing home the 61 and powermac 6 of my grandfather's. I went from 1 saw to 6 in about 2 months!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My 61 came from the factory with a 16 inch bar, when that wore out I put a 18 inch Oregon bar on. Longer than that I believe the saw would very likely tip over when you set it down unless you put on one of those more expensive light weight bars.

My 61 came from the factory with a 16 inch bar, when that wore out I put a 18 inch Oregon bar on. Longer than that I believe the saw would very likely tip over when you set it down unless you put on one of those more expensive light weight bars.
Mine does not seem to tip that much with the 20" bar as shown above. I get a lot of big logs to buck and split, so a 20" is almost a must. That's also what I mounted on my Husky 257, but it's not the same bar -- they do not interchange. Here's a typical log that I cut with mine:
LogLifter2.jpg
That's a lifter that I made using gas springs and oak in an all-out effort to save my legs and back. Nowadays I noodle cut these in half and once again use the 20" bar for that. But, it is kind of nice to watch this lifter in action, making short work out of lifting heavy rounds. The gas springs are the same as those used on many hatchbacks.

My normal average bar length is 16” to 18” , I put a 16” on my old husky 240sg, on my 266se I put a 18” on my 2100 20”/24” bars. If I want a workout I run a 16” bar on the 2100. I like to use all the saws when I cut if possible. I do limbing and the tops with the 240. Some older trees is cut had bigger than 24” limbs. The hurricane blew them down. The trunks I noodled.

Latest posts

Back