Mixing oil and headaches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... call me crazy but go run a quad port saw, they all smell very similar. Dual port saws seem to smell harsher, strato saws seem to be the best. And echo top handles all smell very similar...
'Crazy'.

But it does sound like a game show idea: take you into the woods, blindfolded and with ear muffs, and have you ID running saws by smell. Miss it, and we drop you in a big bowl of Jello.

Philbert

Not crazy.

It's an air ratio thing, it will smell different even in the same saw if you are in a building or outside, if the wind is blowing or still, as well as if there is a large ratio difference in your mix.

Or if a station's tanks are almost empty (bad station!).

Reading the label of this oil at Wally gave me a headache. 1.8 oz to mix with 1 gal or 5 liters gas. Guess they think it's the same thing. Yields either 71:1 or 94:1. On a positive note, it's probably better than straight gassing...maybe. Or maybe it's a marketing strategy to have you buy a new saw.

20190425_183754.jpg 20190425_183806.jpg

I get a headache from the exhaust, usually after cutting stumps down low for a couple hours. Milling too when I’m on my knees, the 395 pumps out a lot of fumes. Gasoline gives me a right quick headache too... lol probably shouldn’t be sawing then right?

I don’t use husky oil though :)
A full face with charcoals seems to be a good solution. Used to do asbestos work for 10 hour shifts with one on. Lunch break was the only time we took it off for an hour. I have to imagine that’s not a realistic solution to a logger or arborist when they need to wear head protection. You also want to be fully aware of your surroundings with your vision in a dangerous gig like that,

I don`t get headaches from mix and I do use Stihl dino mix oil, my engines and exhaust are clean , have no engine wear problems.
I a saw oil causes such a reaction stop using it Period check out another oil .

I de carb ALL my engines regularly with various aerosol products . I only takes less than minute .

When mixing my own fuel (standard pump gas, 10% ethanol unfortunately) with Stihl HP Ultra 50:1, I tend to get really nauseous after a couple hours of (serious) work, especially with my 026 (short bar, I guess that increases the fumes you inhale). If I drink a little bit then, even when it's non sparkling water, my stomach tends to hurt a lot.
Haven't tried mixing with another kind of oil, but I definitely don't get nauseous when using Motomix (or Aspen, which I run in my weed whacker usually).

Funny thing is, as far as I know the oil used in Motomix is HP Ultra... so it must be the ethanol, right? :D. That stuff should be drunk, not snorted... 😆

Same oils smell different in different saws, I have narrowed it down to the number of transfer ports... call me crazy but go run a quad port saw, they all smell very similar. Dual port saws seem to smell harsher, strato saws seem to be the best. And echo top handles all smell very similar...
Dual port transfers smell more because they have higher emmissions. Very poor designs.

Latest posts

Back