New Advice: Fill Tank With Pricey Premix Before Storage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Two of my three chainsaws (and my generator) had problems after some down time, and running the generator dry before storage didn't help, so I am learning everything I can about keeping engines clean in the era of nanny state, vote-buying ethanol gas.

I thought I had the problem fixed when I found ethanol-free Sunoco and an additive which, unlike Sta-bil, works. Now I've found a Youtube guy who claims saws will gum up even with ethanol-free gas. He says olefins gum up carbs, and benzene ruins diaphragms.

Here is what he recommends: buy Gucci gas (premixed, like Trufuel). When you're ready to put your saw away, dump the gas station fuel, fill the saw completely with Gucci gas, run for 5 minutes, and put the saw away.

Here is my question: how could having half a gallon of Gucci gas IN THE TANK, where it can't possibly get to the carb, do my saw any good?

I'm considering buying a six-dollar can of Trufuel and running one ounce through each engine before storage. Seems to me that ought to work as well as half a gallon. I don't have once-yearly "winterizing" here, so it could cost a lot to put saws away over and over, full of $20/gallon fuel.

He has some good advice in his videos. He says to use wire-gauge drill bits to clear carb jets.

I've decided I should go ahead and buy Chinese carbs every time I buy new yard tools. The quality is the same, they're dirt cheap, and sometimes they're easier to work on because they don't have Big Brother devices on them to keep me out of them.

His advice is good. I’ve run the ethanol free fuel through the system, basically to remove all traces of ethanol in the system then run it dry. You can also, which might be better, run a heavy dose of stabilizer in premium fuel, then run it dry.
A good stabilizer has a metal conditioner in it, and will not hurt the elastomers. I use the Toro brand.
I know it’s safe. There are many other that are probably just as good. Maybe better

The most often problem I see is people do everything correctly, except they don’t get all the fuel out.
Just letting it stall is not enough. Long term storage is always a crap shoot.

I use trufuel to store, I don’t fill the tank tho, just enough to keep the filter submerged. I don’t see a difference in using Sunoco e-free then trufuel besides the oil u mix with. (I use stihl or Husqvarna oil). In my experience running saws dry for storage will harden diaphragms and gas lines quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking I might run a ounce of Sea Foam through it and shut the saw off before it's completely dry. Won't harm the engine, and presumably can't turn into varnish.

His advice is good. I’ve run the ethanol free fuel through the system, basically to remove all traces of ethanol in the system then run it dry. You can also, which might be better, run a heavy dose of stabilizer in premium fuel, then run it dry.
A good stabilizer has a metal conditioner in it, and will not hurt the elastomers. I use the Toro brand.
I know it’s safe. There are many other that are probably just as good. Maybe better

The most often problem I see is people do everything correctly, except they don’t get all the fuel out.
Just letting it stall is not enough. Long term storage is always a crap shoot.

But why leave the tank completely full of premix? That's the part I don't understand.

Its only pricey when you use too much per machine. one can, can do all my equipment

I hate the cost of it, but I started running pre-mix this last year. Started when I bought my new MS171. They put it in for me and teh 3 tanks I ran last year I just kept with it. I thought I would try it in my FS38 weed eater I also bought last year. Started it, dumped gas out, ran it dry. Added a bit of pre-mix into the tank started it up and ran for 5 minutes. Hung up for winter. Yes they are both new, but I have never had anything honestly start in 1 pull after winter storage. The MS171 was one pull, and the FS38 was 4 pulls I believe, but 3 of them were with the switch off till I realized. Once the switch was on, it started with teh first pull also.

But why leave the tank completely full of premix? That's the part I don't understand.
This is a great question, did you ask the YouTube poster? I am all for what he was saying especially in older equipment with metal fuel tanks. The air in the tank will bring condensation issues, if the tank is full of efree fuel you won't have those issues. If the tank is full or has any ethanol fuel in it it will absorb moisture, not just condensate in the tank, but basically suck the moisture out of the air.
I leave fuel in my saws and I also fire them up on a month basis as much as possible as the fuel in the carb can evaporate whether ethanol or efree. I think starting them on a normal basis keeps the diaphragms moist all the time.
I would not put a straight oz of seafoam in my saws, why would you want to wash the oil(the oil in your mix) from the bearings and the cylinder walls with seafoam, doesn't sound like something that would be good for a 2-stroke engine.
Many modern 2-stroke oils have fuel stabilizers in them so why even use seafoam. If you use efree fuel you don't need it either.

I have an old ass echo hand held blower and old refurbished 441 that’s see some things that I mill with. Both when I bought were empty and cleaned in tanks and lines but they had been used and abused. I put in stihl premix very religiously for them for awhile. I think each have gone over a year without being ran at some point with the stihl premix left in tanks (not full but maybe 1/4), both start up in first few pulls even after sitting for over a year. I use the premix in place of stabilizer at end of year.

I will note my buddy I bought them off of replaced filters, gas lines, plugs and maybe the carbs (not sure on this one) on both for me no extra charge. I’ve had the blower for five years and saw for three.

I use the true fuel, it’s all manufactured gas, just cheaper, sometimes the Briggs labeled stuff at Walmart when they have it

I also try to start all my saws every month or two if they have sat that long. For me I don't do anything fancy, I only mix a gallon of fuel at a time. I usually use Sunoco ultra and mix with Stihl oil. Every gallon I mix gets a small shot of sta-bil long term storage and seafoam. Never had a fuel related issue since I've been doing this.

I store my saws with gas in it. Nothing special. Gas has a freezing point of <90, so it is a anti-freeze of sorts and in my area make perfect sense for winter storage.

I am doing ok with running AVGAS. No ethanol, a little aromatics in the stuff. I have saws that have not run for 6 months or longer, and will crank up easily.
Its expensive (relatively), but $5 a gallon vs $30 for the motomix....

Just my 2 cents worth...

I have a buddy doing this snsame thing. He has very good luck. I'd do it too, but the airport up the street from me won't sell to the public.

If you are using a name brand oil with added stabilizer and e-free fuel, you are already making and expensive quality mix for your saws. Know I am going to take heat for this but, will stay away from Seafoam snake oil.

I have a buddy doing this snsame thing. He has very good luck. I'd do it too, but the airport up the street from me won't sell to the public.

I used to be able to drive my car to the pump, fill up, then do a burnout/doughnut for the pump attendant.:happy: But they also had drag races on the runway in the 1960s.

Now two airports, nearby. One you need to bring in can to fenced area, the other you bring can and pay by CC/self serve.

100LL AV gas stores for years in a sealed metal container. I've had no issues with similar stored mix > 1 year old.

It does contain lead.

Have you guts personally experienced problems with Stabil? The reason I ask is that I think a lot of times on the internet, one guy has a problem with something and attributes it to a product or procedure, or whatever without finding out if that was really it. He gets mad and posts it on line, it gains traction, and the next thing you know, it's the truth and everyone knows it. Even though no one really knows if actually is. I bring this up because I have been using Stabil products forever, and I rarely (just about never actually) have any carb problems with anything. I use the ethanol stabilizer in all my gas for equipment, and the red stuff for winter storage.

I had issues with the red Stabilizer. Once used it in a ATV. About 4 months later the ATV wouldn't start and I noticed a red powder residue in the gas tank. Emptied the tank and added fresh gas, drained the carb, sprayed it with ether and all was well. I wouldn't use Stabilizer if you paid me to. I have stored numerous ATV's, boats, RV's, snow blowers, etc for 8-9 months a year with gas out of the pump and never had any other issues.
Just yesterday decided to run my two generators. Records showed the last time they were started was Nov 2017 and both had non ethanol gas in them. Both fired right up and ran great for 30 minutes. I did remove a couple of gallons of gas from the big one and replaced with fresh. The old stuff went into my truck.

Back