Lathes for port work advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between my Dad and I we already have most the tools you could want, as well as some most people don’t have. I like the idea of the grizzly 10x22. But I’ll wait. Multiple atlas lathes for sale within four hours of me. One is pretty close and nearly new but the guy is asking $2450 for it. Biggest problems with getting a big heavy lathe is well it’s big and heavy, the power to run it, and cost. There’s one atlas a guy has setup with vfd. The 9x19 grizzly seems like a fair option as well. I’ll keep reading and looking.

Logan 210 10x24 $1500 comes with upgraded 1hp motor tools and stand. Thinking of offering 1k because that’s all I can spare right now. Opinions?

Attachments

• FA764930-2208-46AD-9FBB-1FB2FFBB9C01.png
    FA764930-2208-46AD-9FBB-1FB2FFBB9C01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • 86713F75-ACD9-403D-B086-28873CE08267.png
    86713F75-ACD9-403D-B086-28873CE08267.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • 6F46F5AD-6915-469E-916E-B1EF97F0BC4B.png
    6F46F5AD-6915-469E-916E-B1EF97F0BC4B.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
Well I’m thinking either getting a good deal on a nice older lathe, or buying a grizzly 10x22.

Each has there pros and cons. The 10x22 gets pretty good reviews and it can be delivered to my house.

Guy said he would do $1000. Sharing some texts with him now. Looks like he was actively using it, which to me is a positive sign.

95898F48-4B4D-4868-B218-F93A176B5CF0.jpeg 874421C8-8E7F-4953-8C21-D69B7F574A9E.jpeg

That actually looks like a fair deal. Go cut something with it, then you’ll know.

Looks like a well kept machine, a few things to look at would be the wear on the bed in the first ft. or so from the chuck where most of the working has been done over the years and what shape the chuck is in, inside or reversible jaws, Bell mouth is common on older well used chucks and do you have all the change gears for it, kinda funny is I only use mine for straight machining and once set up for that my change gears just sit on a shelf and use the three speeds off the belt drive. My old SB 9" serves my needs and is in good shape plus easy to get parts for if needed, If you have an experienced machinist to go with you to look at it and assess it that would be a plus and do some research on this model and see what they rate it as.

Does it have metric change gears?

It can cut metric threads with the correct gears installed. At least that's what the internet says. I find it kind of funny how much people talk about thread cutting and that being a major factor in what lathe to purchase. I really don't see myself ever cutting threads. It comes with all the necessary tooling to fully use the machine as well as the bench its on. I'll do my best as far as inspecting it goes. Been doing tons of reading and youtubeing on logan lathes. Seems to be very comparable to a south bend. I expressed my concerns to him about buying an older lathe and he assured me it's in good condition and very accurate. I'm going to look at tomorrow. Luckily it's only an hour north of me.

I do a lot of thread cutting on the grace lathe. I build upgrade parts for the farm's older machines, or replacement parts that are 3 weeks away when the machine is required yesterday. If you can find on, a grinding attachment is very handy as well.

Thread cutting is more or less why lathes exist as they are today.

A quick look up of Jesse Ramsden will tell you why. The extremely short version is that his method created repeatability and increasing accuracy.

So ever more accurate machines were able to be created from using the previous version and accurate copies of the lathes were able to be made! Screws (and bolts) could come from more than one place and work together.

This is something that previously was not able to be done in Europe or the Americas and has remained the benchmark for evaluation while mills (and CNC) refer to tolerances in the thousandths.

Guy said he would do $1000. Sharing some texts with him now. Looks like he was actively using it, which to me is a positive sign.

View attachment 732844 View attachment 732845
I don't see a threading dial on the carriage/apron. Is it in a different location? Hopefully it has both the inside and outside jaws for the 3 jaw chuck. The quick change tool post is a nice upgrade.

Looks like at least one set of additional jaws in the boxes of tooling/accessories. And a bunch of endmills, hmm...

No threading dial, that would be sticking up on the back side of the apron.

Will need an independent jaw chuck and test indicator for doing squish band cutting. Travel dial indicator and magnetic indicator base/holder would be a plus...

Dial works off of the lead screw, has numbers 1 thru 4 plus in between graduations.
When you engage the feed to make a first threading pass, you note where the dial is reading/positioned.
To sync the next pass you must wait and engage the feed at that same graduation on the dial or alternatively the corresponding graduation at 180 degrees.
So 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 or 2 1/2 and 4 1/2, ect...

I was recently making some 3mm collets for a cc 182 right angle handpiece, cutting (relatively fine) 72tpi threads and the dial goes around really, really slowly at that pitch.
Seemed like forever for the dial to come around and I was rapidly losing patience waiting ...

Looks Ok. Just make sure you can get a 4 jaw chuck for it. I don’t see one there.

You can cut bases, but not really bands, with the 3 jaw.

And, no threading indicator I see. My lathe is Chinese and lacks one as well, but it’s got forward and reverse.

Is it not there under the cross slide?
Here is a link to some good info on the 210.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/logan/page5.html

You can see the threading dial mounted on the right side of the apron in the picture of the lathe. If the lathe you you are looking at is missing the dial you could always source one on ebay, or even adapt another brand of dial from a different lathe as long as the pitch and tooth count on the gear are the same.

Latest posts

Back