identify stihl 08 something----------s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darijo1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am wondering if someone here can help with identifiing a saw and how much have hp
it write: stihl 08
---------S
and have one problem it is easy to get run but when i give full torttle chainsaw go shut down
it is clean air filter anyone have idea

here is chainsaw picture
when i give slowly throttle it response but when i go 3/4 and full throttle it go shutting down and when i released throttle running on idle perfectly

Attachments

• IMG_2381.JPG
    IMG_2381.JPG
    898.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2382.JPG
    IMG_2382.JPG
    754 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2383.JPG
    IMG_2383.JPG
    899.7 KB · Views: 50
Good looking saw as if it were mine I would check the diaphragm in the carburetor to see how stiff it is. I have had the same exact thing happen many times because of that. With it idling good does rule out a major air leak and a lot of other problems, but sometimes they want leak at the oil seals noticeable etc. until WOT.

Have a look at the serial number of your 08S saw. From 18735400 the cylinder had 49mm bore (60cm³) with 2,7kW (3,7 hp). The older versions below that serial break had 47mm bore (56cm³) with 2,5kW and 3,4hp.

Have a look at the serial number of your 08S saw. From 18735400 the cylinder had 49mm bore (60cm³) with 2,7kW (3,7 hp). The older versions below that serial break had 47mm bore (56cm³) with 2,5kW and 3,4hp.
where to find serial number is this one it is number 201539
hitachi halox is on cylinder head

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 18
where to find serial number is this one it is number 201539

Yes this is the serial number 2015392 (from your picture). I also see from your picture that your saw has only the chocke switch. That means you have an early model. The later ones had a tip button or a switch to shut it off. So this means you have the 56cc version with 2.5 kw.

Generally:
To say the right things in conjunction with the serial number is often difficult, because the documents (depending on the country or region in which they are used) have often different information and serial breaks in it. I`ve seen this thousand times.

@Darijo1

Remove the muffler and meassure the bore you have. KASH in the post above mentioned that the real early ones had 48cc. I have no documentation to look at and verify this, so I have to believe him. But meassuring the bore would be the best way I think to find out which engine you exactly have.

These old Stihls have an engine speed limiter - a wind vane that is controlling the choke butterfly via the generated cooling air stream. If the linkage is bent/defective, the choke will close too early (at low rpms) and the engine cannot be revved.
Another weak point is the cork seal in the carburetor inlet chamber...

Btw: Yours is a Stihl 08S...

The Sthil 08s info is on Acres site
They changed the color from red to orange around 1970 if memory serves me right.
My all time favorite saws I have many of them 08 and 08s even have one with a chain brake.
Kash
Had two of them that were weed wacker style with. saw blades.
They were heavy used the motors for chain saws.

ok i was change carb kit and it is same situation so i try little move one screw and work ok but when i go to cut trees
suddenly stop the chain and turn off the engine i don't know why

Post a picture, it will be identified. Put a fresh carb kit in might fix the throttle response if an air leak is not causing it.

ok i was change carb kit and it is same situation so i try little move one screw and work ok but when i go to cut trees
suddenly stop the chain and turn off the engine i don't know why

Back