What am i not seeing?? Husky 235

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1stgei

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Typical story. Neighbor is over telling me he has a 235 that won’t turn over. The pull cord is stuck and wondering if I can take a look. For the record I am NOT a fan of these saws. Anyhow , 10 pints later I decide to give it a go.

Pull out the plug, take off the muffler. Piston looks good but it won’t pull. Put some penetrating oil in the spark plug hole.... let it sit and then she lets go. Piston looks good all the way up and down, ring looks good. Put the comp tester on and I’m getting 150. The exhaust is black, so is the top of the piston.
I am getting park and fresh fuel. It won’t start.

Other than taking it down all the way is there anything I’m missing?? I know he hasn’t messed with the carb ....

Any ideas?

Subscribed

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Weak spark? What kind of plug? Any thing on ether or gas spray in carb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it pop and run 1-3 secs with a tsp of fuel in the plug hole or carb throat? Is air filter totally clogged? Is exhaust totally clogged?
If you have fuel/air, compression, spark.....gotta be timing.

Weak spark? What kind of plug? Any thing on ether or gas spray in carb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll put a new plug in tomm. The sAw is mint otherwise. Tried it with the muffler off and the air filter clean. I’ll try it again in the AM. The fact it was seized had me thinking straight gas... but the piston looks okay. I may just tear it apart anyhow :). Stay tuned. I’ll have photos

Did you look at intake side? Had a guy give me a 6800 Echo to look at. Pulled muffler, looked great, cycled piston and intake side of cylinder looked like a bar code.

I just purchased a 240s parts saw. She was frozen stuck when I pulled the rope. But it didnt feel right. I removed the starter and she turned a tad. I removed the muffler and cylinder and she turns over, the ring is stuck to the piston, piston is scored on both sides but the chrome plated cylinder cleaned up ok. I can feel the magnets bump the ignition when I turn the crank. Crank bearings? Gaskets, seals, piston, rings, she should run. I figure I’ll test a $9 golf piston. I found a husky oem piston.

Just for your information, the 235 is a relabled Poulan.If the first number was say a 435, then this is the real Mccoy.

I’m pretty sure the 435 is a Poulin too! Lol. I’m not a fan of any of the homeowner saws. But like I said , this one ain’t mine :).

im not a fan of home owner saws too but my sone wild thing has lasted over 25 years and still running. I think it’s the left over maxima super m from his dirtbike that keeps it going. 32:1 mix. These saws aren’t too bad.

Pulled carb off cleaned it. All seems okay line wise. Put a new fuel filter. Even tried it with the fuel filter off.

I notice that I am not getting allot of fuel to the cylinder ... even when I am trying to flood it so it appears that may be the problem. I noticed the line on the intake on the carb at the end was black. IMG_6567.jpgIMG_6571.jpgIMG_6569.jpg

Photos of carb lines and the intake port on the piston. The exhaust side is mint. Intake side looks “okay”.

I’m thinking it’s not getting enough fuel to the cylinder but the lines look full

The fuel lines don’t look like their connected in the right configuration.you might want to google how they’re supposed to be connected.:)

Check the fuel line at the filter to see if the inner line has pulled out of the outer line.... happens all the time with these. You’ll see a clear hose still hooked to the filter but it has shrunk and collapsed and won’t allow fuel through. I always replace with a slightly larger line and of better quality.

Back