New Drake Elm Advice Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
B2425726-2BD1-46A1-81B5-5A55FE6776E9.jpeg 1B1C1D5E-9681-4B73-A3F9-E36C7EE90DE1.jpeg 2371FCAC-68F8-478E-A938-B5B7DE6B06EC.jpeg Good morning. We’re in zone 8b. We purchased and had planted a 30 gallon Drake Elm planted March 19, then moved a few feet March 22. The soil appears to be quite compact, brown clay. Within the last few weeks, the larger leaves started turning yellow and dropping and smaller new leaves curl and fall. The hole that was dug was not much wider than the root ball, which from my understanding should have been twice that size. Also, the soil was in no way amended. No topsoil, planting mix, manure, or fertilizer added at all. I contacted the person who sold and planted the tree. I was told to fertilize and give it a couple of weeks. I have done that, but no improvement is being seen. What can I do to stop it from dying and encourage it to thrive?? We live on a new property with no other trees.

Thanks Jeff. I don’t know what “in a well” means. I didn’t plant it. I paid someone to plant it. I don’t know what to do to fix it, which is my reason for posting here. Do you have helpful suggestions?

Dig it up and replant it. Whoever did simply doesn't know what they are doing:
1) Like Jeff said, it is planted too deep. Excavate the top until you find a root collar (where the trunk flares out to the roots). That is going to be at least a couple of inches down.
2) The answer to wilting leaves isn't to put a product in the ground that takes water away from the roots (fertilizer).

I don't recommend amending the soil...if the "right stuff" isn't in the soil for the tree to grow, you picked the wrong tree for the site.

As for digging a bigger hole than the container: that only serves to loosen the soil to allow the roots to get going. Whether that is important or not depends on whether the soil is compacted. You indicated it is, so it would a good idea to break it up well beyond the root ball. WIDER, but not deeper. The bottom should be firm, but not compacted.

When you replant it, I'm betting the guy who planted it didn't shave off the side of the root ball either? If the roots are encircling like they just came out of the container, then shave off the outer inch.

After the tree is planted at the correct depth, mulch over the soil you dug up (but not piled around the tree), then water the tree with about 15-20 gallons of water (applied slowly so it soaks in, not just dumped on) twice per week.

Next time you have somebody plant a tree, ask they if they have the ANSI A300 Part 6 and if they intend to follow it - paying special attention to planting depth.

Back