Newer to falling trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Leiviska

Reaction score
Have seen some great info on this site and thought I’d join to get some potentially lifesaving answers for some things.
I’m pretty new to taking down trees, been starting smaller working up. Eventually I have some serious things I need to get down. First on the list (not in level of danger but level of working my way to the major things) will be some good sized leaners. I have done a few smaller leaners and a couple of those have kicked back pretty good, so I can only imagine what a 16” diameter leaning tree may do. What cuts should I be practicing on the smaller ones to make taking the bigger ones down safer?
And lastly, I will need to get one down that is about 18” diameter, leaning, top broke off about 30’ up and hanging in a neighboring tree. Not to mention the tree is splitting from the ground up about 7’. That one scares me. Any advise on safety would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Have seen some great info on this site and thought I’d join to get some potentially lifesaving answers for some things.
I’m pretty new to taking down trees, been starting smaller working up. Eventually I have some serious things I need to get down. First on the list (not in level of danger but level of working my way to the major things) will be some good sized leaners. I have done a few smaller leaners and a couple of those have kicked back pretty good, so I can only imagine what a 16” diameter leaning tree may do. What cuts should I be practicing on the smaller ones to make taking the bigger ones down safer?
And lastly, I will need to get one down that is about 18” diameter, leaning, top broke off about 30’ up and hanging in a neighboring tree. Not to mention the tree is splitting from the ground up about 7’. That one scares me. Any advise on safety would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hire it out, no offense intended.

Thanks!
First hire out the broken topped tree, without real experience the risk of injury is very real, especially if you've had several chairs (kick backs) already.

Practice boring and leaving a strap for the leaners sometimes called GOL, it's slow but safer.

Also you need to face the trees up, I may be assuming, but a face cut directs a tree to some extent as well as providing needed relieve to prevent chairing.

Countless morons well tell you that a face cut aims the tree and that is the direction it will go, while mostly true it also depends on lean, wind, branch weight, and hinge/hold wood, you can manipulate gravity but defying it is a whole bother matter

First hire out the broken topped tree, without real experience the risk of injury is very real, especially if you've had several chairs (kick backs) already.

Practice boring and leaving a strap for the leaners sometimes called GOL, it's slow but safer.

Also you need to face the trees up, I may be assuming, but a face cut directs a tree to some extent as well as providing needed relieve to prevent chairing.

Countless morons well tell you that a face cut aims the tree and that is the direction it will go, while mostly true it also depends on lean, wind, branch weight, and hinge/hold wood, you can manipulate gravity but defying it is a whole bother matter

Appreciate the explanation. I had kind of considered having someone out to take care of the major risk. I know even for someone experienced, that particular tree poses a lot of risk. I had a good friend who’d been a logger for decades lose to a widow maker. I consider that to be the one reason I’m not dumb enough not to be scared of it.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back