What’s your holy grail chain saw.?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a start - L-R: Echo 610EVL horizontal twin, Solo 611 vertical twin, Sachs Dolmar KMS4 Wankel rotary, McCulloch BP-1 balanced piston, McCulloch SP118/Dolmar 166, and the CP 80 DX in the lower RH corner.

View attachment 733073

I am still looking for a McCulloch 895C, or the extremely rare 895CL among other things.

Mark

I don't see a Yanmar Rotary Chainsaw in the bunch. Actually, they were 1 year ahead of Dolmar and also produced several models/engine sizes...

Stihl 044. The first saw I ever fell in love with as a kid. Dreamed of owning one, one day but never did. It was the epitome of perfection for me in 1992.

Here's a start - L-R: Echo 610EVL horizontal twin, Solo 611 vertical twin, Sachs Dolmar KMS4 Wankel rotary, McCulloch BP-1 balanced piston, McCulloch SP118/Dolmar 166, and the CP 80 DX in the lower RH corner.

View attachment 733073

I am still looking for a McCulloch 895C, or the extremely rare 895CL among other things.

Mark
THESE are worthy grail saws. None of the more modern saws even qualify, IMHO. Gentlemen, you need to set your sights higher! For me, it's the Solo Twin.

20170824_184052 (1).jpg 20170824_184217.jpg

Something over 80cc would be nice.
Made in the U.S.A. preferred. Would take a Makita or Echo. Or whatever comes my way.

View attachment 733073

Mark
Hi Mark - lovely selection of oldies. Have you come across the IPL for the 895CL? I have seen the 895C IPL but have never found a parts list reference for the 895CL. Would love to find one!
Chris

Hi Mark - lovely selection of oldies. Have you come across the IPL for the 895CL? I have seen the 895C IPL but have never found a parts list reference for the 895CL. Would love to find one!
Chris

Chris - I am pretty sure that I do have a hard copy of the IPL for the 895C and I found this electronic version in my files. I have not seen the IPL for the 895 CL but I have heard Randy Mac talk about the saw.

As you know, the 895C uses the same basic engine as the PM/SP105 saws.

Mark

Attachments

• Mc 895c April 74.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
E4011C0B-BDD0-4D64-8FED-CFA6EBB21162.jpeg
Chris - I am pretty sure that I do have a hard copy of the IPL for the 895C and I found this electronic version in my files. I have not seen the IPL for the 895 CL but I have heard Randy Mac talk about the saw.

As you know, the 895C uses the same basic engine as the PM/SP105 saws.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes I’ve got the 895C IPL, and have the saw to match. To date it is the only one I have come across. It was found here in Australia.

I bet Huskybill was talking about my thread. So, I got one of my grail saws. Now, I'm looking for a 40-55 cc grail saw. Thinking a Husky 346xp, or a Stihl 261 arctic edition. Have to be a magnesium crankcase, and preferably a pro saw. Maybe even a makita or Dolmer. Right now, not thinking echo. Although there were 2 new in the box echo cs500 s for sale recently.

For me the choice is more sentimental than saw rarity. I used to barrow my fathers 026 when I was a teenager building fence in the mountains. He also let me start my first business with it. After fence building I joined a logging outfit. The owner was nice enough to let me, after work hours, take scraps from the landing and sell them. Never made much but I learned a ton and eventually saved enough for a used 372xp, which is my other holy grail saw that I’ve retired.

Back