.058-.063/ will I notice when cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So i recently purchased a rebuild/ported &MM’d husky 385XP off a member here.

Want a 32” bar option to have for it. Say i had a .063 and a .058 for that bar. Would I notice a significant difference in the wood between the 2?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

No if you get Stihl chain only the lowest portion of the drive links will be different. If you get Oregon chain the .050 and .058 are similar in that only the lowest portion of the drive links differ. 0.063 may have the cutters spaced 0.005" farther apart sideways than .050 and .058 not exactly sure.

The larger the gauge of the bar, the easier it ought to be for the the pump to discharge oil into the rails at a given pressure. That is, if the inlet hole size is not the limiting factor. The larger the gauge, the larger the volume between drivers to accept and carry oil around the bar. I would be curious if all conditions equal - except gauge, if there is a difference in longevities of bars between 0.050" ---> 0.063". Could be wrong, just thinking.

Thanks guys!

And place you prefer before i search Bialey’s?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Check eBay for Combo bar n chain there’s an affordable 36” b&c

I purchased the 28” & 32” for my 575/385 but I wished I had the 36”42” instead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-...Fits-All-Large-Huskys-050-Gauge-/283451463064

While your at it checkout the extra chains too. Look for the deals. I go with the best price. Plus I have a roll of 3/8” LP chisel 050 ga to burn up. Decades old but new.

Are you talking about running a .058” drive link chain in a .063” bar? I wonder how soon chunks will be missing from the guide rails? Ever see chunks missing from thebguide rails, I think worn gaps in rail grooves does it.

When I was in business I used 404” .050ga chisel chain on the 2100’s. The teeth are longer and higher. I got better than two 3/8” chains to one 404” chain if no metal or stones was hit. With the .404” chain with the big power head I’d file the rakers down to .035”/.040”

I destroyed more chains doing favors. One time there was a brick in a hollowed out tree there goes that chain didn’t see it in the leaves. Score human 0 stupidly 10.

It’s people wanting welding favors it costs me consumables for a free favor,

Back