Hissing sound from a tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be Stihl

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just cut my first felling cut into and oak and when I pulled out my saw I heard a loud hissing. Thought I was on a snake at first, then realized it was coming from the cut in the tree. What?
I also noticed when I looked close what appeared to be gas vapors coming out distorting my vision like heat waves. Anyone ever heard or seen this?? It was leaning hard, thought maybe that had something to do with it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gas vapors coming out of where? Was the tree hollow in the center? Methane release? What did it smell like? Need more info.

Not hollow. Couldn’t really smell much other than 2cycle mix. This went on for a couple minutes, I was afraid the tree was trying to crack or something so I went ahead and cut out my wedge. I’m telling you it was hissing and something was coming out. This is on a gas well road???
008f13f21aed6264aca6cd51d8895070.jpg

Sorry, the vapors come directly out of the fresh cut, it was my first horizontal cut for my wedge. When I pulled out to check the alignment of that cut is when I noticed it. Started looking closer and it was like heat waves, you know how they mess with your vision, coming out and up from that cut about 1/2” away from the bark. It was coming out of that cross cut wood.
Freaks me out to think it could be natural gas!

Try lighting the fumes as it bellows out. Then get back to us...... hopefully

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Out here the pretty people in Sun valley demanded that cell towers blend in with the landscape so they started making them “resemble” fir trees. Of course they’re all iron so I suppose you’d know real quick if you cut into one

Out here the pretty people in Sun valley demanded that cell towers blend in with the landscape so they started making them “resemble” fir trees. Of course they’re all iron so I suppose you’d know real quick if you cut into one

Iv seen that before. Kinda silly. Like putting a dress on a pig.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Not hollow. Couldn’t really smell much other than 2cycle mix. This went on for a couple minutes, I was afraid the tree was trying to crack or something so I went ahead and cut out my wedge. I’m telling you it was hissing and something was coming out. This is on a gas well road???
008f13f21aed6264aca6cd51d8895070.jpg

That is bizarre, never before heard of that type of phenomenon.

What kind if saw? Mix ratio? Dull chain? Cracked impusle line? Have you checked the compession on the saw? Where's @HarleyT when you need him?:laughing:
Your saw needs new crank seals at a minimum. It may also need a carb rebuild and new clutch springs. Also, check the ignition coil bearings to make sure they are not excessively lubricated.

Latest posts

Back