whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3ED429B5-AF81-49C0-98D4-71C543A38862.jpeg DA85EA21-6C8C-4846-A9D5-54947515ED4B.jpeg
For a removal based business a knuckle boom with a grapple saw aka Tree-Mec with an 18” chipper is the cats ass.
Lotta iron, lotta money. That’s why I focus on PHC :)

My buddy doesn’t play around. Monster Kboom, Mack dump for a chip truck, huge bandit with a conveyor infeed. He will do 200 yards of chips a day some times. The goofballs use a 200t as a chipper saw though.:surprised3:

Cdl drivers are non-existent in my area. Can’t train one, can’t find one no matter what. Other guys I talk to say the second they have one of their workers get one they jet for a trucking job unless they get 30 an hour. I can cap at 25 an hour but I have yet to find anyone to fill those shoes. I might have to get a lift to replace my bucket when it get long in the tooth so I’m asking around.

Two guys around here have the CMC. I’ve heard bad things about that make and the only one I’ve tried is an easy lift. Didn’t like that ride at all.

I’d go the crane route but that’s even harder. Gotta have a cdl (obviously [emoji847]) and a hoist license. Not happening.

Used to think money was the weakest link in the chain but now I know it’s the help. Doesn’t matter how much you throw at the biz, you gotta have competent hands.

Cdl drivers are non-existent in my area. Can’t train one, can’t find one no matter what. Other guys I talk to say the second they have one of their workers get one they jet for a trucking job unless they get 30 an hour. I can cap at 25 an hour but I have yet to find anyone to fill those shoes. .

Used to think money was the weakest link in the chain but now I know it’s the help. Doesn’t matter how much you throw at the biz, you gotta have competent hands.

Man you ain't kiddin our biz model has been everything cdl, people used to beg for a job multiple people a week.
Now we are lucky to to have enough cdl holders to make one solid crew

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mmm I'd sure accomplish less.....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The last girl that responded to my add sounded pretty hot. I thought about meeting with her for a minute, but then decided it wouldn’t be a good idea and I needed to focus on actually finding some regular help. Starting to rethink that one. I bet a girl would be as good or better than half these guys.

We've had several women over the years. While not as strong, they tended to be more conscientious, detail oriented (clean up, pruning) and stable. We found that they wanted to work on a tree crew because they had gone to school for it or were looking for an athletic job. They also tended to calm the rest of the crew down.

I hired a girls a couple times. The first she came to the interview with shades and a hoodie. When she showed up to her first day it turns out she was really really hot. My wife wasn’t pleased but I couldn’t fire her until she no showed. She did ok, couldn’t handle a saw but never complained and always was dragging brush and raking up. My other worker googled her name because and her dad had an obituary after killing himself in his back yard felling a tree a couple years before she started.

Hired another girl late last year and my other workers said to get rid of her. They said she had a “look” in the morning that they recognized as getting into stuff the night before. She was sent packing.

I find the only setback to hiring women is the minimum strength requirements of this job. Gotta be able to start a saw and safely wield it. Gotta be able to engage the chipper clutch. Gotta be able to move mats. Etc.

The last girl that responded to my add sounded pretty hot. I thought about meeting with her for a minute, but then decided it wouldn’t be a good idea and I needed to focus on actually finding some regular help. Starting to rethink that one. I bet a girl would be as good or better than half these guys.

Sounded hot??

Back