Running older saws in there hay Day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anyone remember cutting with power saws before the anti vibration was offered.? Remember the hand-cramps? Trying to steer the truck with hand cramps?

What about dealing with vapor lock? That was a no win situation time wise.

You youngsters just don’t know,,,,,,,,,lol

Oh yeah. I cut so much wood with a AH58 tucumseh. My ears are still bleading

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We had an older Mac 800 or 850, can't remember which this early in the morning. Loudest damned saw I ever ran next to the 10-10 I picked up recently. It was an old "war horse" for sure, rough, grumbly but sure grunted thru some pretty big logs back then.......but we had to send it down the road after we purchased our first 480CD.......Cliff

The youngsters have it easy today. The older saws were loud and slow no mufflers just straight pipes. I went from no anti vibration older saws to the 2100/240 huskys.
I can still picture me driving the truck and shifting it with both hands cramped up like lobster claws. The weight my uncles mcculloch eagle saw we cut a monster pear tree down.
The old days feels like another lifetime ago. Lol

Does anyone remember cutting with power saws before the anti vibration was offered.? Remember the hand-cramps? Trying to steer the truck with hand cramps?

What about dealing with vapor lock? That was a no win situation time wise.

You youngsters just don’t know,,,,,,,,,lol
That about all we had when I was a kid they shuck the **** out of you almost ass bad as a jackhammer. I remember the first 044 we got and that was a treat . If people had to use those old saws today especially this new generation we have it would be barbaric they quit and go to Walmart for work.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Nope, but pretty sure some of you are old as dirt haha. Reagan was in his first term when I first graced the world with my presence

When I was younger grandpa ran the saw and me and my brother split with a wedge. I remember after a day of hearing that saw me and my brother would yell at each other the rest of the night. I think he was running the 10-10 I have hanging in the basement.

Most of the saws I run on a regular basis still have no AV. I dont mind it, but maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.
Oh and I'm only in my 30's so not a grizzled old buck lol.

Later on in life you hands may suffer from arthritis more, and sooner. I wonder if that’s why my joints in my fingers hurt.

The Titan saws were not called bone shakers for no reason,

TITAN+40+(3).JPG

First AV saw we got was a Stihl 051AVE 197(?)2 out of St. Joe Mo. The dealer IMPRESSED my Dad when they Told him they could build a complete saw or two off of the inventory on their shelves. Bought 5 of 'em before they went out of production. He loved the 051 and spent a chunk of change getting 2 rebuilt instead of looking at the 056 saws.. Before that we had Remington PL7 PL5 and a small Power Lite 3? Then Homelite C7 's and C52.s tried a new Mac big saw don't remember the size but he always cussed it for not restarting after warming up and the dealer was a Gambles Store with no saw savvy just sales and ZERO service... I was to young to cut the trees down but I did a lot of topping and limbing in the timber and my share of bucking in the Mill Yard.. Never gave a thought about vibration until I got older and had my own saws but looking back Dad was pretty selfish with that first 051 :cry:

I should be completely worn out by now, been running saws since the early 60`s, big Pioneers were my first saws, first AV saw was a 1985 Sachs Dolmar 120S, been running AV saws since then. Only have a high pitch ringing in my ears, started wearing ear protection after 1990.

Back