Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a good market for that kind of moss around here. I dont know where they sell it, or what its used for, but you are always hearing of the Forest Service catching someone stealing it out of the woods.
Sweet, I'll send some down your way :cheers:.
It’s used in crafts and terrariums.
We're in the money :envy: :D.

Good size White Oak leaner across the trail, needless to say it had to go.
5d7801a813a7f28d9dd49e4f804bcccd.jpg
4b5316117b4240155a78744663137042.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a LONG building!! You could put a bullet trap in the far end and target practice with your 22's when people are not around!

I thought that, too... then I thought, well... if the bunkhouse deal din't quite work out as planned... one heck of a cool wood shed! :D

That is a LONG building!! You could put a bullet trap in the far end and target practice with your 22's when people are not around!
I have a BB trap for inside. You have to use lead wadcutters. It has 4 small paddles that hang down and one larger one in the middle. When you hit a small paddle it fly's up and sticks. Then when you hit the big one they all drop back down, so no re setting targets.

I thought that, too... then I thought, well... if the bunkhouse deal din't quite work out as planned... one heck of a cool wood shed! :D
I'm replacing a 42' house trailer with it. The trailer was made in '59, and when my parents put it on the property in '73 it looked like brand new. Now the end with the main entrance sagged enough that the front door would not close tight. One day pushed the door hard to get it to open and a 20' gap appeared along the floor. The wood frame had turned to dust from termites, and the steel siding rusted through. So, on either side of the door I screwed a 2X4 to the floor, and then ran screws through the walls into the 2X4's, to keep the walls from opening up in a wind storm. Then we screwed 2X4's to the wall and rehung a storm door to them that would open, close, and seal. The straw that broke the camel's back was last year. I had butchered a deer and had blood on my hands. We don't have running water, so I heated a big pot of water and washed up good. That night I felt something touch my finger, being half asleep, I just wiggled my finger. Then it touched my hand again, wiggled my fingers, then it pinched my thumb, and I swatted at it. A mouse went flying across the room, hit the wall, and scurried off. I got up and looked at my thumb and there was a little trace of deer blood in my finger print, and that rascal was nibbling at the blood. So, no wood shed. I'm putting up a wall at one end for a small bed room for 2, the loft over head will have cots for 2 more. I'll move my fold up table in the trailer to the new bunk house. Any extra guys can fold the table up and put cots along the walls. I figure we can sleep 6 comfortably and 8 for a weekend shoot. We put in a 55 gallon septic tank so we do have an inside toilet. We have another 55 gallon tank that catches water to gravity feed the toilet. All the comforts of home.
Here's a look out the front door and a pic of my fold up table I made.

59eLivO.jpg

wu4C3fG.jpg

I have a BB trap for inside. You have to use lead wadcutters. It has 4 small paddles that hang down and one larger one in the middle. When you hit a small paddle it fly's up and sticks. Then when you hit the big one they all drop back down, so no re setting targets.
Put sand in the bottom. Works great for 22. Barn is 48ft long. No trouble keeping it in the trap at 48ft even with a handgun

Attachments

• 20190427_200537.jpg
    20190427_200537.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
I'm replacing a 42' house trailer with it. The trailer was made in '59, and when my parents put it on the property in '73 it looked like brand new. Now the end with the main entrance sagged enough that the front door would not close tight. One day pushed the door hard to get it to open and a 20' gap appeared along the floor. The wood frame had turned to dust from termites, and the steel siding rusted through. So, on either side of the door I screwed a 2X4 to the floor, and then ran screws through the walls into the 2X4's, to keep the walls from opening up in a wind storm. Then we screwed 2X4's to the wall and rehung a storm door to them that would open, close, and seal. The straw that broke the camel's back was last year. I had butchered a deer and had blood on my hands. We don't have running water, so I heated a big pot of water and washed up good. That night I felt something touch my finger, being half asleep, I just wiggled my finger. Then it touched my hand again, wiggled my fingers, then it pinched my thumb, and I swatted at it. A mouse went flying across the room, hit the wall, and scurried off. I got up and looked at my thumb and there was a little trace of deer blood in my finger print, and that rascal was nibbling at the blood. So, no wood shed. I'm putting up a wall at one end for a small bed room for 2, the loft over head will have cots for 2 more. I'll move my fold up table in the trailer to the new bunk house. Any extra guys can fold the table up and put cots along the walls. I figure we can sleep 6 comfortably and 8 for a weekend shoot. We put in a 55 gallon septic tank so we do have an inside toilet. We have another 55 gallon tank that catches water to gravity feed the toilet. All the comforts of home.
Here's a look out the front door and a pic of my fold up table I made.

59eLivO.jpg

wu4C3fG.jpg
I understand where you are at. Our original hunting cabin was a 1960 32’ mobile home. We had a stick built roof over it but by 2010 it was definitely due for replacement.

I removed the trailer and enclosed the roof. In retrospect it would have been much faster to tear the old part down and build new. But we were able to include the old construction from my dad and grandpa which was cool too.

Philbert and Svk, here is a site you might be interested to take a look at. Goderich is 20 miles south of me. Most of my older neighbours used to work here over the years. http://www.championantiquegraderclub.ca/index.html
Goderich is also home to one of the largest salt mines in the world. Sadly it was bought by an American company and last year for the first time ever our local companies salted parking lots with salt from Egypt. Hard to believe something like that makes sense.
View attachment 733069 View attachment 733070

When I was a fresh pup out of school I had a job as a laborer with a construction company. Guy didn't show up and the foreman through me into a loader. He took a shine to me and taught me how to run every piece of equipment we had. Besides him I was the only one allowed to run his old champion road grader. Talk about a lesson in levers! I have a very funny memory and I think he was amazed I remembered what all the levers did after a time or two running it. Hopped in a cat 325l the other day and it brought back all the fun memories of learning to run this stuff.

Well I was almost saw reformed. Had one project saw left (ok I guess I have 3 others too), a Jonsereds 70E from a fellow member. Was going to just give it to my friend but figured I’d get it running and do some cutting with it so I ordered a carb kit yesterday.
Maybe you forgot, you still have one out and about :yes:.

Back