DONE with the woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenskeeper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
in the detached garage that is.

Got a FREE oil forced air oil furnace, probably 3x oversized for my detached garage.

Plumbed the vent into the existing chimney and couldn't be happier.

The woodstove always made me nervous when not out in the garage and the stove still "hot", plus the almost instant heat from the furnace is a big plus.

I'll keep track of how much fuel oil I go through, as it will only be on when I'm out there working....I'm guessing well below 50 gallons a winter.

Wood isn’t for everyone and if you not trying to keep a constant temp. It’s hard for wood to recover from the cold temps of being shut down for a few days the way an oil burner can.

I have passed up my chances at free lp furnaces for the garage because I dont want to drain my tank. That being said I have sold a wood stove and wood furnace that would have been good for the garage but the cost of the chimney would be a killer. Also I have the same feeling about leaving it unattended when I'm not in the garage. I'm still waiting for a heat pump mini split to fall into my hands.

i keep my shop stove running 24/7 during the winter. i'm a cheap a$$ and won't run the oil burner in there to keep the pipes from freezing. Here in PA they charge tax on fuel oil if it's not used for a residence.:dumb2:

I have passed up my chances at free lp furnaces for the garage because I dont want to drain my tank. That being said I have sold a wood stove and wood furnace that would have been good for the garage but the cost of the chimney would be a killer. Also I have the same feeling about leaving it unattended when I'm not in the garage. I'm still waiting for a heat pump mini split to fall into my hands.

I know what you mean, plus in my shop I have gas cans, power equipment, and oil... Have you ever seen those waste oil burners? You can make them from a 55 gal drum and like $15 in parts. Slow drip of old motor oil in a red hot burner just vaporizes it and puts out heat. I thought about making one and a collapsible chimney and direct it out an insulated window insert.

I know what you mean, plus in my shop I have gas cans, power equipment, and oil... Have you ever seen those waste oil burners? You can make them from a 55 gal drum and like $15 in parts. Slow drip of old motor oil in a red hot burner just vaporizes it and puts out heat. I thought about making one and a collapsible chimney and direct it out an insulated window insert.

Yea that's y I dont want a stove in the garage unattended. Im guessing the OP feels the same way. I have only seen the waste oil units that are sold never a home built one. It sounds cool.

Yea that's y I dont want a stove in the garage unattended. Im guessing the OP feels the same way. I have only seen the waste oil units that are sold never a home built one. It sounds cool.

They even make waist oil burning forges for casting led or aluminum that are homemade. I looked into it for reducing my aluminum cans, but cast al is less valuable per pound then cans. So they stay in can form.

Who knew. I always thought that was how those can return places made money. Sell the cans for scrap weight. I never researched it though. I only scrap copper

Cans are under a sanitary grade I believe. Where cast aluminum is just a plain grade.

Why worry about leaving the house or shop with the wood stove burning ? Always turn them down a bit before I leave for any length of time.

"turned down" is still burning, still the chance of fire. Flip the switch on the oil furnace and it's out for good.

"turned down" is still burning, still the chance of fire. Flip the switch on the oil furnace and it's out for good.

Obviously it's still burning , I like having heat in the house & shop. I just don't understand the worry about leaving the woodstove burning while you're gone. They run for 9-10 hours a day while I'm at work . I keep the chimney clean and in good repair . Never had a problem & don't worry about it.

Back