Replacment Axe Handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolcronan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone , I need to replace the wooden handle on an old axe head.

I need to find a curved pattern handle that is 900 mm / 36" long
They problem is the eye socket .
I need to find a 60 mm long eye that is as close as possible to 32 mm wide.
The best I can find is around 21 mm wide .

Can anyone suggest where I might get a 900 mm x 60 mm x 32 mm curved handle.

This is a project I have gotten myself into for an old timer guy I know who is quiet ill , I have the head ready but this handle is a problem .

Many Thanks.

I just make my own. Find a ash or hickory tree and drop it. Make a rough cut with reciprocating saw then grab a spoke shave to trim it to the exact shape only slightly oversized. Seal the ends and set it next to the wood stove for a few weeks. Once dry finish shaping with sanding then fit the head with wood wedges. After cutting the excess off use tung oil on the handle and have something to be proud of.

I just make my own. Find a ash or hickory tree and drop it. Make a rough cut with reciprocating saw then grab a spoke shave to trim it to the exact shape only slightly oversized. Seal the ends and set it next to the wood stove for a few weeks. Once dry finish shaping with sanding then fit the head with wood wedges. After cutting the excess off use tung oil on the handle and have something to be proud of.
I wish I could do that , I have looked at the Youtube videos but its beyond me .
This is a project I have gotten myself into for an old guy I know who is quiet ill , I have the head ready but this handle is a problem .

Thanks, that's very helpful. Here's your problem — that eye is deformed from someone beating the back of the poll using that as a wedge. You could either try and cold forge it back to its original shape if you can find a drift (or make one from a dense hardwood), or carve your own to fit the eye's current shape. Not going to find a pre-made handle to fit that, brother, I'm afraid...

Thanks, that's very helpful. Here's your problem — that eye is deformed from someone beating the back of the poll using that as a wedge. You could either try and cold forge it back to its original shape if you can find a drift (or make one from a dense hardwood), or carve your own to fit the eye's current shape. Not going to find a pre-made handle to fit that, brother, I'm afraid...
Good eyes. I thought the same, that head is far from true it needs to be rectified for it to fit square to the handle & be properly hung.

I wish I could do that , I have looked at the Youtube videos but its beyond me .
This is a project I have gotten myself into for an old guy I know who is quiet ill , I have the head ready but this handle is a problem .
It is pretty easy when you have as well stocked tool shed as I do. It takes real skill to do it like the pioneers did with only an axe and knife.
Unfortunately from looking at your pictures making a handle is the only way to fit that head as is. Reshaping the eye to fit a handle is above my basic metal working skills of cutting and welding. I take it you don't want to break this head so I wouldn't recommend my "hit it harder with a bigger hammer" method.

It is pretty easy when you have as well stocked tool shed as I do. It takes real skill to do it like the pioneers did with only an axe and knife.
Unfortunately from looking at your pictures making a handle is the only way to fit that head as is. Reshaping the eye to fit a handle is above my basic metal working skills of cutting and welding. I take it you don't want to break this head so I wouldn't recommend my "hit it harder with a bigger hammer" method.

Cold forging is less aggressive. The main thing is to have a firm backing behind the eye inlet, then make firm but careful blows with a light hammer over a work surface to shape it back. The eye area in axes is mild steel, unhardened and not tempered, so the risk of cracking is low if you're careful with your blows and preparation.

Cold forging actually generates heat contrary to the moniker. Heat affords malleability.

Check this out:

I have found that getting replacement handles a real challenge. The hardware stores sell some replacements, but they never fit. The only real wood that I have is an abundance of Oak so Oak it is. Rough shape it on a table saw and fine tune it with a grinder seems to work. Thanks

Back