404 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave0846

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all

In the midst of running my 066 on 404
I have changed the tip on my bar to 404 but it doesnt seem to ride over the tip, instead in seems to ride the rails and sparks and feels like the saw is under load.
New tip, fairly new bar carlton 24"
New drive sprocket
New maya chain
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20190502_182146.jpg
    20190502_182146.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
Does the oil hole line up in the bar and is the hole clean so the oil flows? Heating up and sparks sounds like no bar oil?

Does the oil hole line up in the bar and is the hole clean so the oil flows? Heating up and sparks sounds like no bar oil?
Yes it is oiling properly, is you look in the pic it's the link rubbing on the tip, definitely not an oil issue

So is the drive link bottoming out in the groove of the tip? I believe that my 404 chain might sit similarly to yours does but the saw revs fine and doesn’t spark. Is it possible that the bar gap got closed up in the process of changing the sprocket? Either from pressing rivets out or installing the new rivets?

If you look closely at the picture you can see 3 links that are not in the groove and ride high.

One on the top, one at the tip, and one on the bottom.

It does seem that you may need to re-use your groove tool as something has happened in those three spots. At least it sounds like you did not squeeze enough to interfere with the tip.

Suppose the rails could be worn down or scored in the channel, but it does not really look that way.

I'd take the bar off the saw & run the chain around by hand. Pinch the nose suspending bar vertically and move chain around to see if its smooth with no binding. Was the tip hot after you ran it on the saw?

I see two different issues here. First, that Maya chain looks a bit funky to me. The bottoms of the cutters don't line up with the bottoms of the side plates for the rest of the chain. The reason this concerns me is because the side plate opposite each cutter rides the rail by itself since the cutter cannot touch the rail. That could be causing sparks. The other concern I have is that, in the photo, you can see the side plates on the chain touching the rails on the tip. They are supposed to be supported by the nose sprocket and not be able to touch. This may also be a problem with the Maya chain. If the drive links are too short they will allow the side plates to rub the bar tip rails (not good....especially when each cutter goes around the end of the bar tip and only the side plate opposite the cutter is carrying the entire load.) I can see how this could cause lots of spark. If you look real close at the photo you can see the paint right at the tip center is starting to burn off from heat.

I just took another close look at the photo. If you look at the tips of the sprocket teeth you can see space between them and the chain. The drive links are definitely not riding on the sprocket properly around that nose. I'd try another chain (not Maya) to see if it fits differently. You should see a small gap between the side plates and the rail on that tip and the drive links should be sitting firmly in the sprocket.

Look at your fingers that go in bar see if there is burs or something on them ... Making them ride high on the tip . I had .404 jump off once and had to use a diamond file to get burs off before it ride and tighten right .

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back