Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say, if you come across a blown 345 or 350 for cheap that has decent plastics let me know. Eventually I want to build another one of those.

I just rebuilt 350 with a mate the other day (one of his customers found it at the dump) so brought it around to see if it could be revived, it needed new crank seals, bore was scored but we revived it and needed new rings (I think the piston was usable) anyway it's all back together and running fine so hopefully it will keep doing so!.

My latest scrounge activities;

1) My local tree guy dropped off a load of Grey Box, which is some seriously good firewood (apart from splitting and moving the stuff, it feels like concreate).

2) Visited my sister’s new house in central NSW, they bought 100 acres of land 10% cleared 90% dry woodland. They asked me to bring my dad’s cement mixer so I decided to bring home a load of wood seeing as I had an empty trailer. My BIL cut up the wood in advance, it was a mixture of Brittle gum and Brown bloodwood all very well-seasoned.

I now have basically an unlimited source of seasoned premium hardwood, only problem is they live 450km away so this is my longest range wood scrounge yet. The Ford Territory performed well and I estimate I only used about $10 - $15 more diesel than without a trailer.

Last pic is of the sunset at Coolah tops national park where we spent two nights camping.

View attachment 733401

View attachment 733403

View attachment 733404

View attachment 733402

View attachment 733405

View attachment 733406

View attachment 733407

You'll have fun splitting that Grey Box by hand (FMD that yellowbox I got has been a nightmare to split by hand, so much so I gave up and split it with the 029s log splitter and 394 log splitter instead!:chainsaw:

What I like about it is how long it burns (it doesn't seem to put out as much heat as some of the other gum I have here but that could also be the large chunks of it I'm burning I guess? What I do know is whatever it is I'm burning now is ridiculously bloody hot, so much so I had to open the sliding door next to the heater as it was just way over the top - I couldn't handle staying in the room its in it was that bad.:laugh:

Where abouts is your sister mate? I live in the Central West area myself.

just kidding r/f! little doubt in my mind, it would be a real-life bunkhouse... cabin... home! hope you can put in a nice porch and a fireplace, too! or a cozy wood burning stove. and also more pix of the project! is it on property yet...?

Real Stories of The New Bunkhouse...

looks like nice country!! saw the first deer out in near middle pasture, then in relooking... saw the other couple just at the crest of the hill...

did u mill the lumber for the fold up table?...

View attachment 733483
Yes, milled the White Pine from a blow down on the property. Might build an 8 X8 or 8x12 entrance room with benches and lots of coat pegs so you can take off all the dirty clothes first. I might just stick with electric baseboard heat. Not sure yet.

You'll have fun splitting that Grey Box by hand (FMD that yellowbox I got has been a nightmare to split by hand, so much so I gave up and split it with the 029s log splitter and 394 log splitter instead!:chainsaw:

What I like about it is how long it burns (it doesn't seem to put out as much heat as some of the other gum I have here but that could also be the large chunks of it I'm burning I guess? What I do know is whatever it is I'm burning now is ridiculously bloody hot, so much so I had to open the sliding door next to the heater as it was just way over the top - I couldn't handle staying in the room its in it was that bad.:laugh:

Where abouts is your sister mate? I live in the Central West area myself.
She’s out at Coonabarabran, which is actually classed as ’central west slopes and plains’
The fine tuning of how hot to burn the stove actually takes a few year to master IMHO.

She’s out at Coonabarabran, which is actually classed as ’central west slopes and plains’
The fine tuning of how hot to burn the stove actually takes a few year to master IMHO.

Ah right Oh, way up North from me too. Yeah it's a bit of an art trying to get the best out of some heaters no doubt about it. I can generally set and forget this heater but this wood for some reason really punches out the heat, way over the top so will have to really throttle it right down I think, not sure what wood it is but she's over the top heat wise I know that much!

Project Montgumery Ward
(Remington)

Friends saw.

b09331b169ec4b8b5a5b56f5d12a823b.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

What's the cherry like to burn? long burns and good heat etc?

I happen to REALLY like cherry. I always struggle mentally when I see cherry trees in my woods because I REALLY want to cut them down for firewood but I also want to leave them so they get bigger for MORE firewood.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Latest posts

Back