Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James, I use PFRED, and they last a good while.

Agree with the other comments on Cherry (good coals, decent BTUs), and it smells pleasant when cutting and when burning. It is the preferred wood for wood oven Pizza. It is also sometimes used for smoking.

cherry wood? the kind that sweet cherries grow on?

zct.jpg

Got the camper hitched to the truck and the boat hitched to the camper. A load of scrounge in the bed. Me and my boys are headed for our first annual fishing trip as soon as I get off work tomorrow. Not only will we be burning elm, ash and maple, we will also be cooking with it.
Oh yeah, I scrounge rocks too! All except the largest were scrounged by hand!
022b6d05644e7000fa1575c723fdf2b6.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

a postcard view!

have fun, send pix!! :)

The father in law took me over to a friend's garage clean-out today. Thought I might be interested in the woodstove. The stove was junk and wasn't worth my time for scrap iron but there was a cast iron kettle and this ecofan I picked up for $40 Canucks for both. The fans are made about 15 minutes from my house. My stove has a squirrel cage blower that works great for moving the heat but the ecofan doesn't use electricity and I like that so I'm giving it a try tonight. The kettle is rough looking but I'm going to blast it at work and paint it with stove black.
ab5a9bf1f488d153eea258880a52180d.jpg
e0b5418a39ccbfc8e1285cce4ac0622e.jpg

I have a large cast iron collection. scrounged! :D it was headed to the dump! lock stock and barrel... til I intervened. right place, right time... so much pots and pans I cannot even begin to use it all. numerous DOs, too... but I use a lot of it.... but

never have I seen a cast iron kettle until now! thanks for mentioning it...

for the heck of it I just cruised CL Free Houston looking for firewood to scrounge. in 2 pages of listings about half dozen free 'come n get it' firewood offerings. mostly oak. literally cords and cords if a man was so inclined as to scrounge it all. no doubt next week more of the same. I have a dozen bus cards of local tree guys and arborists... little doubt they would love to have their cuttings scrounged. in lieu of having to pay to haul it off and dump it. here is pix from one such offer on CL Free Houston today:

zfw.jpg

The father in law took me over to a friend's garage clean-out today. Thought I might be interested in the woodstove. The stove was junk and wasn't worth my time for scrap iron but there was a cast iron kettle and this ecofan I picked up for $40 Canucks for both. The fans are made about 15 minutes from my house. My stove has a squirrel cage blower that works great for moving the heat but the ecofan doesn't use electricity and I like that so I'm giving it a try tonight. The kettle is rough looking but I'm going to blast it at work and paint it with stove black.
ab5a9bf1f488d153eea258880a52180d.jpg
e0b5418a39ccbfc8e1285cce4ac0622e.jpg

Do those eco fans actually do much to move the air around a room or is it more of a gimmick?

My mates got a new 460 rancher to fix yesterday, it wouldn't run but we pulled the carby appart and gave it a good clean and it sort of want to run for a few seconds, we pulled the muffler looks fine, but the engine has a funny sound coming out of it (metalic) so it will be pulled down tomorrow as we think the bottom end bearing are toast - apparently the owner lent it to someone and we think they may have run it without oil or not the correct ratio at the least, she's a bit crunchy in there so somethings not right and the guess at this stage is bearings.

See what turns up tomorrow I guess.

[emoji15]

Im just a little jealous of you guys with the 5 cube old saws like that. Super cool!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Most people see a monkey wards saw and don't give them much thought. My buddy bought that one and an old Remy for $25 at an auction.
20170513_173558_resized.jpg

I dig those old saws for some reason. Just hearing one idle, there's not much in those old mufflers. I've had a couple homelites and a pioneer. Used ones come up all the time for cheap but I never see a big displacement saw. If I ever do I'll be all over it!
Ok, ecofan report. First let me explain my stove. It has a false cast iron top with an airspace beneath and side covers. The way the squirrel cage blower fan works is to move air through that space around the sides, up over top and out the front. It really hoofs out the heat with little noise. I have run it without the fan and also during power outages. It will convect the heat but doesn't seem to put out anywhere near as much as it does with the blower fan running. Last night I started a fire in the cold stove and placed the ecofan on top right in front of the pipe. After about 15 minutes, the fan started to turn, by half an hour, the stove was hot enough for the fan to spin at a good clip. I resisted the urge to stick my finger in it. Lol. Standing about 8 ft away I could feel the warm air hitting my face. I was surprised at how well it was moving the heat. I think I'm going to use it instead of the factory blower definitely for the shoulder seasons. It is silent and makes its own electricity. I would recommend one especially if your stove doesn't have a blower on it.
1b85e14a89dae50547f799b43f282d2c.jpg
cb51f06cc4043278dc5b80d673ab76db.jpg

He gave me a "Like" on a post about 6 months after his operation and I've not seen him since , I hope he's still scrounging somewhere , I'm gonna tip a glass for him .
Last posted Nov, 2016. I've sent messages to a couple of the old guys that haven't posted in a while, no returns.

I dig those old saws for some reason. Just hearing one idle, there's not much in those old mufflers. I've had a couple homelites and a pioneer. Used ones come up all the time for cheap but I never see a big displacement saw. If I ever do I'll be all over it!
Ok, ecofan report. First let me explain my stove. It has a false cast iron top with an airspace beneath and side covers. The way the squirrel cage blower fan works is to move air through that space around the sides, up over top and out the front. It really hoofs out the heat with little noise. I have run it without the fan and also during power outages. It will convect the heat but doesn't seem to put out anywhere near as much as it does with the blower fan running. Last night I started a fire in the cold stove and placed the ecofan on top right in front of the pipe. After about 15 minutes, the fan started to turn, by half an hour, the stove was hot enough for the fan to spin at a good clip. I resisted the urge to stick my finger in it. Lol. Standing about 8 ft away I could feel the warm air hitting my face. I was surprised at how well it was moving the heat. I think I'm going to use it instead of the factory blower definitely for the shoulder seasons. It is silent and makes its own electricity. I would recommend one especially if your stove doesn't have a blower on it.
1b85e14a89dae50547f799b43f282d2c.jpg
cb51f06cc4043278dc5b80d673ab76db.jpg

Old saws get no respect. My cousin was at an auction, he knows the auctioneer. They had a Homelite C5 and 330. They couldn't get a bid. The auctioneer said "SOLD, to Tommy" for $1.He gave them to me, and I gave the C5 to a friend. He tinkered with it for a few minutes and had it running. He bought a 30" bar for it and uses it for milling. I figured I messed up giving that one away so I bought a C51 and a C72 for $5 each at another auction. The C72 was locked up, so I soaked it in 50/50 acetone and ATF for a couple weeks and it broke loose. Put the comp gauge on it and it's blowing 135 PSI. I put this 45" bar on it for a photo op, because all of my Super 1050's were on the top shelf. I just bought another 1050 for $40, so the big bar will go on it.
x0kVdVo.jpg

Back