New here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon0521

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just joined the site today, I recently got a connection with a tree service guy and he's bringing me everything but the premium butt logs. I'm getting oak , hickory , pecan, and any other fruit bearing trees that the Bbq guys like. I'm starting a firewood gig in my spare time. I've got everything I need , good Husqvarna rancher and a smaller one for little stuff and a county line splitter. My problem is identifying the logs because
he brings them all mixed up. Anyone have any tips on learning to identify the logs. I'm a steel mill guy just trying to earn in my spare time. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the site. Oak on the pictured one. The lines from the center of the log that head towards the outside are called rays and very visible in Oak. Experience will teach you a lot, hickory, elm very stringy when splitting. Google images can be your friend, pics on here can help, even then some logs will remain a mystery.

Latest posts

Back