Any 80s Toyota 4X4 Truck/Runner fans ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although if I had the fab skills and tools needed I would copy my buddies 4x4 620 build
039491CA-431A-4F2D-B596-24DD3B79924C.jpeg

My first car was a 1970 Toyota hilux. For the pos it was it had some good points. Well no actually it fried the points on a regular basis. Fun and economical to drive on the back roads and side streets. Embarrassing to turn onto the freeway with!

Always liked the 80's yotas but yeah here 3 years and the fenders were flopping like a chicken trying to fly!

Here's my 1985 - his name is Tojo and he has 380,000 miles on him. Picked him up last year just for driving around my property as a chore truck. Had to pull the canopy off so he can haul wood. A year later, he's carried at least 40 loads of firewood and probably a hundred other things. He starts and runs every time, so I'm happy.

Yeah, just 2 wheel drive. $800... cheaper than a good saw.

tojo.jpg

Nice rides Fellas ! Yeah I have a nice stable of old Yotas 1983 longbed SR5 , 2 -1985 Longbed and regular bed {lil camo} topped off with a 1985 Runner , All of them were junkers needing motors , trannys or major motor repair.
I've always run the same package 5;29 gears , centerforce clutch II, weber 38s with all emissions blocked off, Detroit locker in rear and truetrac up front. these little trucks are tanks off road they can't be beat !
*****Nice job on the green 83 remodel SWEEET !

Nice rides Fellas ! Yeah I have a nice stable of old Yotas 1983 longbed SR5 , 2 -1985 Longbed and regular bed {lil camo} topped off with a 1985 Runner , All of them were junkers needing motors , trannys or major motor repair.
I've always run the same package 5;29 gears , centerforce clutch II, weber 38s with all emissions blocked off, Detroit locker in rear and truetrac up front. these little trucks are tanks off road they can't be beat !
*****Nice job on the green 83 remodel SWEEET !

I had a 5;29 in the rear on my truck for some years w 33's. I never got to re gearing the front axle but used the 4wd a few times in the mud when I needed to. On the street the 5:29 was a blast. Take off from a stop made it pretty fast , fast enough to embarrass a few peeps who apparently wanted to race to the next stoplight. I could also cruise around town 35/45mph and it would roll on down the road w no peddle at all. I seem to remember it making 30mpg or more around town. In low, it would idle up very steep hills offroad. I used to get out and walk beside it now and then as it inched along. W the super swampers tslsx I rarely needed 4wd even w open diffs. I could park it in a deep mud hole, rev the motor and dump the clutch and it would jump around and then climb on out.......... good times.

Overheated the original motor when the thermo. stuck, driving home from work on a 96* day @ about 180k. Did'nt notice till it starting spark knocking and the gauge was in the red. I pulled over and let it cool off, ran a few miles/repeat till I got home about 10 miles. Flush/new t/stat and w pump. A few weeks later I noticed some steam in the exhaust at starting in summer :mad:, it would stop when it warmed up. I had other vehicles and only drove the truck a mile to the trash dump, hunting etc. within 5 miles or so of home for 2 years. The steam got worse. One day I pulled into a friends yard and he walked up from his garden as I sat in the truck idling. He said "you got problems" and nodded a the rear. I stuck my head out and looked back,coolant was pissing out of the tailpipe ! drove it home and parked it for good.
A month or so later I found a 82 2wd truck w 42k on the 22R. It had been rolled over and bought back after it was totaled. The guy pulled the plugs and filled the cylinders w motor oil. It sat for 13 years before I bought it. I put it in gear and rocked it and the motor spun easily. I had to cut down some pine trees that had grown around the truck to drag it home. I changed the oil,plugs, swapped carbs and cranked it. It purred like a kitten and no smoke. Put new front and rear seals on it,installed and rolled on. That 82 motor is in my truck today @ 214k. It's time to do the timing chain and the org. 84 carb needs rebuilding but the truck still runs and rides. I'm gonna R&R soon.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here's my BJ60 (1984) bought it in '85 (it was just six months old), daily driver till 2012, now my fun ride when the weather's snarly or good! Just under half a million on it, and has outlasted four very good dogs (back seat pilots)... Thought I might fit the stihl to the front bumper as a trail clearer

Latest posts

Back