Hissing sound from a tree??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a Madrone pee all over me - must have been 20 gallons of bright red water in that hollow tree, - thought I had cut myself bad for a second!

HERE is a web page that discusses trees producing methane. They have a video of a tree out gassing methane, which they actually lit.

DO you feel just about like you've seen a big foot? Even if it wasn't hollow, the methane gas likely built up between the cambium and the bark - I believe you. Oh! And I'll wager the gas vapors drifted up rather than down, as Methane is lighter than air.

Had a Madrone pee all over me - must have been 20 gallons of bright red water in that hollow tree, - thought I had cut myself bad for a second!

HERE is a web page that discusses trees producing methane. They have a video of a tree out gassing methane, which they actually lit.

DO you feel just about like you've seen a big foot? Even if it wasn't hollow, the methane gas likely built up between the cambium and the bark - I believe you. Oh! And I'll wager the gas vapors drifted up rather than down, as Methane is lighter than air.

I read this web page and it seems as if that’s what I encountered. It really took me by surprise as to how long it lasted and with as much force as it had.
You are totally right about it drifting out and up. I’m telling you I could hear it from 10 feet away and lasted for about 5 minutes, then I cut the thing down. Large Oak on a natural gas well road, that has just experienced a big slip in the ground that had it leaning at a 45. Anyway I was just curious as I am new to tree cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back