Chain spinner take-up handle question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roalco

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, years ago I got given a chain breaker and spinner set, unused, but were missing a few bits. They are the older Italian made Tecomec/Oregon units. I finally decided to get them in use, so made a handle and got an Oregon adjustable anvil for the breaker, and also two spinner anvils from Oregon. The only take up handle I have is unmarked (apparently the case in the early tecomec/Oregon units), but has a tip cup recess .222" (just over 7/32) in diameter, and .025" deep. Any ideas if this is for the larger or smaller chain sizes?? ( I asked the local stihl dealer, and the guy that spins chain there says they use the same take up handle for all their work, regardless of size......)
Many Thanks!
R

I got 0.170 for the cup of the small take up handle. Picture of the small anvil and take up piece. There is a smaller punch tip maybe called an anvil for the 0.043 gauge small stuff but if you re use a tie strap it is the preferred one.

Attachments

• IMG_20190503_160736.jpg
    IMG_20190503_160736.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 11
Approx 5.6mm (.222in) for the cup in the 'A' takeup handle. I'd say most folks would probably just also use it with both 'A' and 'B' anvils with the anvils being much more critical for the finished spin on the rivet. The depth of the handle pocket is more critical than the width.

Thanks all, just the info I was looking for. These are the rigs.

Attachments

• 1590498F-4CA3-4B4F-BE76-A9FE813EEFC6.jpeg
    1590498F-4CA3-4B4F-BE76-A9FE813EEFC6.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
I didn't realize there were different bit for different chain. We make all sorts of chain from little baby .25" pole saw chain to .404" harvester, I've never changed out parts on the spinner or breaker other than broken breaker anvils, but that's rare.

The set we have is an older Oregon set, maybe from the 80s.

Back