Assembly lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I use a TS-70 moly paste or antiseeze when assembling the p&c. I first burnish the moly on a soft rag into the cylinder walls. Then on the piston skirt. Add some 2t oil and assemble. Then I fire up the saw on choke and let it run for a few more seconds on choke so the crankcase is getting fogged with 2t mix.
Moly,,
Eliminates wear
Reduces friction
Fights corrosion
Prevents galling.

https://www.tsmoly.com/index.php

I also put a little moly on a new bar and chain too. Just to cut down the wear on breaking it in.

I been using moly since the early 70’s. We used it in a dirtbike 2t engine. We assembled it with the moly paste. Raced it for a few races, rode it all summer. We took it apart to inspect it and found the piston still looked brand new. I use moly in every metal to metal contact situation it’s never failed me yet.

I use a TS-70 moly paste or antiseeze when assembling the p&c. I first burnish the moly on a soft rag into the cylinder walls. Then on the piston skirt. Add some 2t oil and assemble. Then I fire up the saw on choke and let it run for a few more seconds on choke so the crankcase is getting fogged with 2t mix.
Moly,,
Eliminates wear
Reduces friction
Fights corrosion
Prevents galling.

https://www.tsmoly.com/index.php

I also put a little moly on a new bar and chain too. Just to cut down the wear on breaking it in.

Are you a sales rep.?

Nope I’m the end product user. Anything that eliminates wear and reduces friction count me in. I had a buddy who worked for Dow Corning and he gave me some samples to try.

No pre break in wear, nada, nothing. I was building drag race engines with moly too. It’s that tube of grey assembly lube that comes with new cam and lifter kits. It’s engine assembly lube. Everyone sees scuff or hard rub marks in a cylinder. Moly avoids this from happening, just a Little will do.

Molly lube not ready intended to be in a two stroke crank case....... I would just use the 2 stroke oil you burn in the saw...4-stroke engines then I use assembly lube ..to each there own... guess you could even use the pictured lube if needed....:D
510HraDYM0L._SY355_.jpg

I use the redline moly lube in all my 4 strokes.
For 2 stroke I have an old school oil can that I filled with some old outboard oil my grandpa had lots of. I think it’s johnson, it’s in metal cans. I doubt I’ll ever use all that in the 1 oil can. Probably should pour the rest into my old dodge for pump lube

I used to use the grey or black moly when I worked as a diesel engine rebuilder in the 90s it was really necessary on the big end and main bearings etc to provide lube until the oil system built up pressure on initial start up. On two stroke engine rebuilds I am not so fussy as the lubrication is pretty instant. I give the bearings a tiny squirt from the oil can ( two stroke oil, 5/30,10/40, 20/50 or whatever I have in stock!) and a thin smear on the cylinder before installing the piston and away we go. A little bit smoky on initial start up but very soon clears.

Back