whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old company had another women working with them before I came on board. Smoking hot.
I could see it being a bit of a distraction, and with tree guys in the height of the “me too” movement it can be dangerous from a legal standpoint.
But then again, we always want the respect of any other industry. Beautiful women work in offices every day. Why not the trees? :innocent:

Took down this bad boy today...this thing was a breeze until we kept hitting rocks in the stump.
3275b6174bba5669f0bc961ce54fe33e.jpg
9988513ea6452ebc77b6ec0839abd6cf.jpg

I had a female employee for several years. She would still be working for me if her whole family hadn't moved out of state. She learned to rope climb while working for me. She would run smaller ground saws but not larger ones. She was awesome at smaller detailed pruning jobs. Think Japanese maples. She would also drive our mini skid quite frequently as well. I'd have no issue hiring another female for tree work as long as they had the right attitude and abilities.

It was funny how many times customers would ask if she was my wife. It seemed like lots of them just assumed that she must be if a women was doing tree work. As far as I know there's only one other lady tree worker in our area. She's an owner's wife.

So I interviewed a miniature lesbian the other day. She brought along her significant other (big, fat, scary looking thing). They wanted me to hire the both of them. lol.:laugh:

Just another variation of the typically painful interview. The plywood stacks scared off the little one pretty quickly (said she was too small). I did ask her if she thought we were gonna be cutting down daisies, which gave me a laugh anyway. The big one didn't say too much thankfully.

You can't make this stuff up. The scary part is, I've been doing this so long I really didn't think anything of this rather surreal meeting at first. Between some of the customers and some of the employees I deal with on a regular basis, it was just another day at the tree service. God help us all!!

Took down this bad boy today...this thing was a breeze until we kept hitting rocks in the stump.
3275b6174bba5669f0bc961ce54fe33e.jpg
9988513ea6452ebc77b6ec0839abd6cf.jpg

What do you do with a log the size of that one on top there? Were you able to pick that up in one piece, or did you have to cut it? Do you do full cleanup and topsoiling of stumps, or just grinding typically?

What do you do with a log the size of that one on top there? Were you able to pick that up in one piece, or did you have to cut it? Do you do full cleanup and topsoiling of stumps, or just grinding typically?

That got cut in half. I never topsoil mostly because people don’t want to pay. It gets ground then cleaned up to ground level.

C1C3C1FC-6A32-4DFE-8301-90528A9E78F3.jpeg We took a huge, humped up maple stump out the other day for a customer. Ended up topsoiling and seeding half a lawn. I like the guy and he gets me work so I didn’t mind. I never make much on that end between subbing out the grinding and all, but whatever. It makes people happy and spreads good word, so we do it and move on. It’s not an everyday thing.

I can actually load my international pretty much all the way to the back with that new loader (the little bit I can’t reach, I just keep pushing and it fills eventually). I definitely saved a trip to the dump with the grindings the other day that way as compared to using the tractor. Works out well.

View attachment 735556 We took a huge, humped up maple stump out the other day for a customer. Ended up topsoiling and seeding half a lawn. I like the guy and he gets me work so I didn’t mind. I never make much on that end between subbing out the grinding and all, but whatever. It makes people happy and spreads good word, so we do it and move on. It’s not an everyday thing.

I didn’t know you don’t grind. Some guys make a killing on it, others grind for cost. I do it cause it’s easy. Until you have to lump grindings into a truck.

I didn’t know you don’t grind. Some guys make a killing on it, others grind for cost. I do it cause it’s easy. Until you have to lump grindings into a truck.

Between my stump guy having 15,000 hours running those Vermeer track grinders, and the Giant and the power broom we use now, dare I say stump removal is actually pretty bad ass. Almost an art, really. That broom practically polishes the stump hole so hardly any grindings left either.

We make the least glamorous part of the removal process as glamorous as possible. Lol.

Brought in a 30 ton crane Saturday for some removals. Biggest I had worked with before was a 23 ton. This crane was noticeable stronger and luckily the operator was very good. Hammered out a large pin oak, large white pine and a medium sized cherry. It was a treat to work with; 2200 to 3000 pound picks of the white pine worked out slick for butt log length (taking them to the sawmill) and fit nicely in the size of the landing zone. The oak had a bunch of smaller leads and then we took a 3500 top. Nothing crazy heavy/big for picks, just nice solid production. It’s been a while since I’ve been around a crane, so it was awesome to be reminded of their efficiency.

9F7C7136-39B6-4E6F-840B-977C10435D85.jpeg CA377A9B-FD38-42D4-94C0-BECBA293DF11.jpeg I worked in conjunction with the Ohio dept of natural resources to remove a couple hawk nests this week. The adult hawks have been attacking people, so permits were issued to remove the nests and any potential babies.

The first location had a nest about 75’ up in a large white oak. The adult hawks were agitated as soon as I threw my rope up in the tree. There was a nuisance trapper on site and he had permission to shot the adults if they were going to attack me. I work my way up about 60’ and the nuisance guy shoots the male as he was dive bombing in the attack me. It ended up careening into the neighbor’s front door and just laying there. I get about 5’ from the nest and the mom finally flew off. I gathered up 2 babies into a rope bag and 2 fell to the ground trying to fly off(they were way bigger than I expected and had sharp talons/beaks). I destroyed the nest and came down.

I brought the 4 babies with me to the next job and the bird rehab lady meet up with me there. She inspected all the babies and finally gave me some pointers on how to handle them. Only one baby in the second nest (40’ in a pinoak). Pretty cool experience overall and holding a baby hawk was neat.

Tried out a new guy. Five minutes into him chilling he sent an iron wood holder for a fireplace through the chipper. Now I’m at a loss for what to do with him. I have lots of people applying but no one shows up. I hate training. Oh, and I have to repair this.

Tried out a new guy. Five minutes into him chilling he sent an iron wood holder for a fireplace through the chipper. Now I’m at a loss for what to do with him. I have lots of people applying but no one shows up. I hate training. Oh, and I have to repair this.

If he is open to helping you repair it on his time, I would give him another shot.
If not he can drag his arse...

Back