Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have no loaders.

That is the Nehbor’s rental. And a loader wont fit down there.

This is a pickle

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Nothing a shovel, chainsaw ( to gather logs) and a winch won’t fix. Given enough time and determination you’ll get it out.

Well if you have lots of chain and good trees to hook to.....

Should be able to somehow tether the chain(s) to the machine and use the lift and pivot of the bucket to eat your way forward, even if it’s only a couple inches at a time......cut logs and if you can eventually inch your way up onto a corduroy of logs you can plan an escape.

Your best bet might be to get a guy with a small tow truck if he can sneak down your trail and winch from solid ground.

Please keep us updated.

My truck is all loaded to go to the NY GTG tomorrow!

I dread the first time I will have to drive it up to my cabin, the paint is so nice, but that is what I got it for!
That was one of the first chores mine got, clearing my drive in WV. I couldn't get up withought rubbing both sides. I had to clear the drive 14' across to get my new building in. Got home and my wife said, "you've got scratches all down the side of your new truck". I took the bottle of Meguires Mist and Clean and wiped it down over the scratches. The scratches were only in the dust, no paint damage, whew.

View attachment 734018 Often wonder why i bring these things home
WE used those XXV's as climbing saws back in the day. Loved them. I had been trying to find one in good condition for a couple years. People wanted too much for them. Then I was at an auction and saw a yellow saw up a head of me. Thought it might be a Mini Mac, but was the wrong color yellow. Got up there and it was a Poulan rebadged as a Sears. Got it for under $10, and just like the old ones, it's a screaming runner.

Well if you have lots of chain and good trees to hook to.....

Should be able to somehow tether the chain(s) to the machine and use the lift and pivot of the bucket to eat your way forward, even if it’s only a couple inches at a time......cut logs and if you can eventually inch your way up onto a corduroy of logs you can plan an escape.

Your best bet might be to get a guy with a small tow truck if he can sneak down your trail and winch from solid ground.

Please keep us updated.
That's why I keep a 150' of 17,000 pound bull rope on my truck. If it has to be pulled uphill, I can put a snatch block on a tree or something, and pull back down hill. Or, I can hang the snatch block on the side of a tree to get some up lift. I've used the bull rope to pull our old Chvey C60 full of wood out of mud with our Ford F600, and never snapped a rope.

:yes:
Was farting around with other projects, set the Fiskars by the pile of rounds from last weekend and it started to rain. Oh well.

that happens! smart me... left my new hand clippers under roof, but outside... :angry: dint get wet, but several lite spots reddish stuff... just from sitting... and rains past couple days. on well, S happens! and all clean, oiled and serviced again! if I am not dropping something, I am loosing it! lol... only salvation is... I always find it last place I look! ;)

thinking to tie all my tools around my neck. that should solve the problem... :rolleyes:

Had an axe disappear from the barn. Suspect the nieghbor boy might have "borrowed" it... But who knows I may have misplaced it. Though I doubt it as I'd not finished sharpening it after I sanded and oiled the handle. Have a boys axe I was gonna pass on to him... Maybe not.

hope u resolve that issue!

Getting equipment unstuck takes a lot of patience. Celebrate small wins and try not to go backwards

literally and figuratively!

I can remember being stuck in past. dirt, mud, sand and snow... never fun! well, not till u figure ur way out! lol ~

even today... I hate it when I venture too far with a tractor for example and hear the swish of a spinning tire. :heart: that posi-loc!!!

I got a large articulated diesel tractor buried up the axles one time.

Another time tried to drive through crusty snow with the pickup and ended up high centered in deep snow.

One time my friend took a wrong turn at my cabin and ended up stuck on a logging road. I got stuck getting him out. Broke a snap strap which actually punctured my tailgate when it recoiled back. Got his vehicle out with jacks and timbers then it took two 4 wheel drives in low to get me out.

In high school I had my dads suburban “mudding” and the fuel pump went out. Had to bring him and the tow truck driver out there. That didn’t end well.

Last year I was pulling a “widow maker” out of another tree with the plow truck. Slid off the road and buried the passenger side wheels up to the axles in clay. Had to have my wife drive my Yukon (which was due for new tires) and somehow got out because she was driving uphill with crappy tires on an unimproved road.

Last winter was heading out of my cabin and there was a logging truck stuck on the road. There’s a secondary road (packed by snowmobiles) that bypasses the last 100 yards of the regular road where the semi was stuck. “Let’s go this way” famous last words.

Been stuck with full loads of wood a few times too.

Do you see a trend lol.

Happened to notice this floating along the shore after a windy day. Dawned the hip boots and roped it over to the beach. Definitely could have done some damage to someone’s boat.

Definitely a conifer, maybe tamarack by the smell.

Pounded in the random spikes and turned it into boiler wood for next year. 46D75213-6AAF-4B9B-94F1-E5E4173BB315.jpegEE324C30-5EB2-4231-82B1-10916DB02CF1.jpeg

U&A, that is a job for a winch. Gotta be somebody around with a wheeled winch. Maybe something like this but hooked high up in a tree so that it's pulling you up and out?

Did this and it work like a charm!!! Thank you sir!!

Good. How did you fasten the winch?

No winch.

Snatch block on the attachment point in the middle of the cat at the very front on the machine frame.

Cable through the snatch block hooked to the bucket and the other end of the cable to a tree.

Set it all up with the bucket down and when you raise the bucket it pulls the cat out of the mud.

Sunny and hot here today but no blackflies yet !
Started a new project today :)

C0pZAKE.jpg

The first issue started with the driveway that a Jackwagon wannabe lumberjack started it and cut the driveway .
JFa6Yck.jpg

My truck is parked by the powerpole at the end of that mess .
It took me an hour to make a walking trail to the bubble that needs to be cut out .
I even had to fill about 25' of bog with fir and spruce branches .

Back