Pruning an old apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Leyzorek

Reaction score
I know about pruning apples for shape and strength and light, have done it, planted them, grafted them, for many years. Have read the threads here about season for pruning and I go with dormant so that the tree will have a whole growing season to begin healing....also easier to see what I am doing, without leaves.

A friend has a very old Fameuse tree, apparently healthy and vigorous despite having fallen over and re-rooted several times it its life...it looks like a small grove. General shape is not bad, it's not reaching for the sky, but branches are thick and matted, fruit is small. I offered to prune it over several years so as not to shock it, but she was told it should not be pruned at all. Before I say, "Nonsense!", I wanted to ask the experts if there could be any basis for this advice.

Also given that some wounds will take several years to heal, what is the feeling here about tree-wound-paints, to prevent rot getting into the heart of the tree? I have used some, and not used them, read that they do and do not help. Best kind?

Thanks!

I believe the current feeling is that the older paints were toxic for trees. There are some newer paints that aren't toxic, but haven't been found to help the tree. The newer paints can be offered as an asthetic option.

No paint. If you must use something use Lac Balsam.

I agree with you that it is nonsense that the tree should not be pruned and I like your idea of doing it in stages.

No paint. If you must use something use Lac Balsam.

I agree with you that it is nonsense that the tree should not be pruned and I like your idea of doing it in stages.

I've found others who have used the staged approach and they've always reported good returns. I believe it just has to do with prepping the tree in a way that facilitates better growth long term.

Back