Fiskars no longer holding an edge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Did your fiskars x27 stop holding an edge at some point? Mine has got to where I can barely get a cord split without having to touch it up. When it was new I got atleast 5 cords per touch up with a flat file. Is there something I need to do to it?

Still the best splitter I’ve ever owned, do I need to do something different with the next one?

Give a huskvarna spliting ax a try. I think you will like it, I do mine.

:D Al
I like my feet to much. The husky is just a tad to short. Even an x27 could have been longer (I'm 6.3 feet).
Can't help with the sharpness.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Huskvarna sells a 27.5 inch fiberglas handle one.

One with 33 inch wood handle, that is what I have and wrapped 1/4 inch rope 4 inches back from th head in case I miss.

I returned my fiskers just days after buying it. Just bounced off the Season Ash I wanted to split.

One with 33 inch wood handle, that is what I have and wrapped 1/4 inch rope 4 inches back from th head in case I miss.

I returned my fiskers just days after buying it. Just bounced off the Season Ash I wanted to split.

Yea if the fiskars isn’t really sharp it’s a turd. I’d imagine 95% of folks who buy them never wear that factory sharp edge off. It’s not heavy enough to have any dullness and still work. It seems pretty immune to overstrikes other than you wondering if you just broke your arms. I’ve knocked the crap out of mine a few times.

Were you using your fiskars backwards? Mine splits seasoned ash with minimal effort. If I swing to hard it goes right through into the splitting block.

I have close to 20 face cord split with mine and it's still sharp. I touch it up every spring but there's no need to.

LIfetime guarantee. Contact Fiskars and see if this is covered.

Makes sense that they would have a harder edge, and a softer metal behind it, so that it is not brittle. Not sure if they expect people to file / grind on them like a conventional maul, or expect them to use their purpose designed sharpener:

Philbert

Yea if the fiskars isn’t really sharp it’s a turd. I’d imagine 95% of folks who buy them never wear that factory sharp edge off. It’s not heavy enough to have any dullness and still work. It seems pretty immune to overstrikes other than you wondering if you just broke your arms. I’ve knocked the crap out of mine a few times.

I spend about 2 minutes sharpening my fiskars after every use. The thing had split almost 15 cords in the past 13-14 months. It is still razor sharp. Sharper than my kitchen knives

I use this to sharpen

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Puck-...rpening+stone&qid=1557017168&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I dont use a splitting block. Probably should.

I never did until I bought the fiskars and decided I should try to not destroy it. I used to split on my concrete driveway and ruined my axe head. I nailed a bunch of junk 2x4s and ply wood together to make about a 5 inch thick block and it works great. When the tops destroyed I nail some more junk wood to it. I'm used to splitting on the ground so using a log as a block could have been dangerous. I'm short so adding 18 inches to splitting height changes everything.

Illl have to try to put a really fine edge on mine. It came new so sharp you could dang near shave with it and I can’t replicate that with a file no matter how many times I stroke it super light.

My fiskars is past any warranty claims. It’s had a rough go between all the wood it’s split and a guy grabbing it out of my pickup to stir a fire at a fundraiser bbq I donated wood for. Why he didn’t grab the cheapo axe is beyond me!

Using a log as a block is safe... if you pay attention to how much log is going to be under you axe AFTER the split.

I use a BIG log though m. About 12” tall.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I never did until I bought the fiskars and decided I should try to not destroy it. I used to split on my concrete driveway and ruined my axe head. I nailed a bunch of junk 2x4s and ply wood together to make about a 5 inch thick block and it works great. When the tops destroyed I nail some more junk wood to it. I'm used to splitting on the ground so using a log as a block could have been dangerous. I'm short so adding 18 inches to splitting height changes everything.
Yea I split anything under 15” as it lays on the ground . I don’t stand them up unless they are bigger or rock hard.

It doesn’t need to be razor sharp to split well. As long as it’s not blunt it will work fine.

The original edge is hardened but as you work your way back the metal is softer. I split on the ground with mine and it’s worn well back after over 40 cords.

Illl have to try to put a really fine edge on mine. It came new so sharp you could dang near shave with it and I can’t replicate that with a file no matter how many times I stroke it super light.

My fiskars is past any warranty claims. It’s had a rough go between all the wood it’s split and a guy grabbing it out of my pickup to stir a fire at a fundraiser bbq I donated wood for. Why he didn’t grab the cheapo axe is beyond me!

If it was stuck in a fire you could have lost some of its Temper, the hardness May be deminished.
I’ve cut a few cords with mine and the only dull places are from hitting the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was stuck in a fire you could have lost some of its Temper, the hardness May be deminished.
I’ve cut a few cords with mine and the only dull places are from hitting the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wasn’t holding the edge before that, but no doubt that was a dumb move.

Back