Fiskars no longer holding an edge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split mainly on the ground

E7HMvXa.jpg

Still splits fine .

If it was stuck in a fire you could have lost some of its Temper, the hardness May be deminished.
I’ve cut a few cords with mine and the only dull places are from hitting the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doubtful, the plastic would melt if it got hot enough to alter hardness.

It wasn’t holding the edge before that, but no doubt that was a dumb move.
There has been lots of comments about the edge over the years. Some people think it's not hardened because when you hit something hard it will chip. Some dont think it holds an edge well because they use softer steel.

Best advice anyone can give you is keep it out of the dirt, use a short chopping block and keep an edge on it. It doesnt have to be super sharp, a flat file is enough to maintain an edge.

It's possible the axe has worn off the non-stick coating on the cheeks. I never noticed a whole lot of difference once it wore off but other might be more sensitive to it. Someone sprays a dry film teflon lubricant on theirs to help.

If you leave your axe out and the cheeks have a bunch of surface rust on it then that would explain the reduced efficiency, combined with a dull edge.

Coating is gone off of it. I leave it out but it doesn’t sit long enough to rust. I’ll try some Teflon spray that’s a good idea.
The wood I cut is hard enough you notice lots of things. I cut a tree the other day that was so hard the axe bounced half way back to my face. It was a 20” mesquite I had cut and left for a saw mill guy a couple months ago. It ended up being not quite big enough for what he needed and was bowed a little much for normal milling stuff so I cut it up for a bbq guy who wanted some stuff that’s was 2’ long and would burn slow and smoke a lot to attract customers.

I’ve noticed if it gets too dirty it can slow down, too. I’ve two x27 and the one I’ve had for a while still splits as good as the new one, just have to maintain it. The edge sharpens alright, its not an axe so I don’t really care if super sharp. I’ve got no use for my husky splitting axe, though....:rolleyes:

I don't have a Fiskars though my main splitting axe somewhat maintains an edge, but nothing keen. I'll touch it up every so often if I hit a rock it eat too much dirt. I do; however, keep the cheeks clean and polished which seems to reduce drag and improves splitting efficiency.

Back