Stihl 461 won’t restart

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I can pull my 461 about 3-5 pulls cold fires up and runs and isles great till I shut it off then cannot for the life of me get it to restart any ideas I thought it was gas pressure but I’ve cracked the capped never heard a hiss noise I put new tank vent on it new plug. I don’t think it’s car because it’ll run and idle perfect first start if the day any ideas?

What is your hot start procedure? If you are trying to start with closed throttle and it won't start after a couple of pulls, you have to do the procedure that advances the throttle and leaves the choke off. Different for various saws but they all have it, 2-strokes do not like to start with closed throttle.

This problem has been for awhile so my hot procedure is and tried everything full choke half choke just on the in position.. I’ve gotten it to run once or 2x by having air cleaner off n pulling the crap out it.. and once by splashing gas on spark plug.. plug was replaced and is grey blackish more grey I’d say

This problem has been for awhile so my hot procedure is and tried everything full choke half choke just on the in position.. I’ve gotten it to run once or 2x by having air cleaner off n pulling the crap out it.. and once by splashing gas on spark plug.. plug was replaced and is grey blackish more grey I’d say

Did you see this? This is none of the methods you described above.

you have to do the procedure that advances the throttle and leaves the choke off

I know the 362 had an issue with the secondary butterfly sticking. Saw will not start with that secondary partially open. Just a thought,

Did you see this? This is none of the methods you described above.
Yes I believe on the 461 once warm if it won’t start, to get the throttle open with no choke you have to put it all the way down on choke then flip it up one spot and do not hit the throttle. Once you do that try and start it, it should fire and rev a little high until you hit the throttle again.

sounds like its due for a carb clean and carb kit, assuming all else mechanical is fine. It should start easily on first pull when warm, in the regular on position, all day long

Yes I believe on the 461 once warm if it won’t start, to get the throttle open with no choke you have to put it all the way down on choke then flip it up one spot and do not hit the throttle. Once you do that try and start it, it should fire and rev a little high until you hit the throttle again.

Roger that - you got it!

I was wondering if the OP knew that.

Take a peek at the piston.

If it’s rubbed, it won’t start hot because of minimal compression. Pressing the decomp will make it even worse.

I’ve also had this issue with faulty impulse circuits. The carb may be playing a role as well.

Oh, and rule number 1, change the $2 spark plug first.

Take a peek at the piston.

If it’s rubbed, it won’t start hot because of minimal compression. Pressing the decomp will make it even worse.

I’ve also had this issue with faulty impulse circuits. The carb may be playing a role as well.

Oh, and rule number 1, change the $2 spark plug first.
First thing i do after cleaning dirt off of someones saw that won't start.

Roger that - you got it!

I was wondering if the OP knew that.

I didn’t know that I will try it in the next few days here I will also try another new plug if that don’t help I’ll clean carburetor but seems odd if it starts runs and idles perfect until a restart. I will try all thanks guys

Back