Keep 461 or buy 472-572?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is your guys thoughts I’ve got a nice 461 but wondering if the other two would be an upgrade at all. I know there is weight savings on the stihl but what would you guys do.

How in the heck do I edit titles I meant the 462 not 472!!!
I would keep 461 myself plus buy 462 or 572 if you can afford to do this, I believe when the 461 is out of production it will be a saw that is going to retain its desirability for years, Just my opinion & you know what people say about opinions being like a certain hole everyone has!

I would likely just keep the 461. That is unless you want a new saw just because. In that case the 572 will be a much smoother saw, but a downgrade in power. The 462 has good power, is crazy light, and plenty smooth.

Agree with these guys no reason to switch unless you don't like the 461 weight or vibration or air filtration, then the others offer advantages. 462 is lighter for sure and so far has been great except its expensive, you could also wait and see about the 500i if you want a new saw with serious wow factor.

Agree with these guys no reason to switch unless you don't like the 461 weight or vibration or air filtration, then the others offer advantages. 462 is lighter for sure and so far has been great except its expensive, you could also wait and see about the 500i if you want a new saw with serious wow factor.
Air was one of my concerns I’ve been running a 562 and I’ll be honest the filter just flat out doesn’t get very dirty. I can use my 461 for a few hrs and have lots of chips in the filter.

Air was one of my concerns I’ve been running a 562 and I’ll be honest the filter just flat out doesn’t get very dirty. I can use my 461 for a few hrs and have lots of chips in the filter.
Stihls have had chitty air filters for years even with their new design the Husky's filter better.

I really like 462, very light, air injection and spring av, so far it's great, very different from 461. Prob not as smooth as 572 or 576, maybe due to weight or crank balance, but not a deciding factor for me.

My 462 is the most fun I've ever had with a saw. Plenty of power and extremely nimble...power/weight ratio blows my mind every time.

I don't know that I would sell a 461 to get the 462 though...unless weight is a massive issue for you, the 461's can be made to run faster than the 462's but with only a weight penalty.

that's up to you as a personal choice, i personally would hold onto the 461 and find something else to sell, but if you're losing sleep about it and have that good an offer, you could always pickup another 461 down the road i guess.

that's up to you as a personal choice, i personally would hold onto the 461 and find something else to sell, but if you're losing sleep about it and have that good an offer, you could always pickup another 461 down the road i guess.
True the only issue I have is my 461 is like new not even broke in. Just didn’t know if there was enough of a wow factor in the two latest saws to go ahead and upgrade for them.

True the only issue I have is my 461 is like new not even broke in. Just didn’t know if there was enough of a wow factor in the two latest saws to go ahead and upgrade for them.
I haven't ran a 461, but the gap between my good running 460s and the 462 I ran last year was pretty wide. The power was in the neighborhood but it felt like a 60cc powerhead. For a hobbyist or firewooder with disposable income I would recommend making the switch. IMO it's too early for someone relying on a big saw to toss a saw with known reliability for either of the new ones.

I haven't ran a 461, but the gap between my good running 460s and the 462 I ran last year was pretty wide. The power was in the neighborhood but it felt like a 60cc powerhead. For a hobbyist or firewooder with disposable income I would recommend making the switch. IMO it's too early for someone relying on a big saw to toss a saw with known reliability for either of the new ones.
You and I are very similar I cut for firewood and a hobby. Here is the 461.

Attachments

• CD21D40A-66C1-48DA-839F-71F790040212.jpeg
    CD21D40A-66C1-48DA-839F-71F790040212.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • D26D162C-8E75-4A1C-B277-3496ABD7A469.jpeg
    D26D162C-8E75-4A1C-B277-3496ABD7A469.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back