Removing Drive Links From Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there. I recently picked up a used Stihl chainsaw chain that is a few drive links longer than I need for my Stihl MS 171. I have watched videos and such to see how they are removed and such. I have a small portable chain breaker device, and am ready to do it, but I have just one little question. I have a new tie strap to join the chain together again, but it is not a Stihl brand one. This will be the only one I probably do, and the shop wants $12 to do it, or $6 for a package of Stihl tie straps of which I need only one. So, is it alright to use a tie strap made by someone else on a Stihl chain? Thank you.

Look real close at it! Some (most) Stihl chains have larger diameter bearing sections on their rivets than other brands of chain. The preset tie strap you have may fit....but if the rivet's bearing surface is smaller than the bearing hole in the chain then it will impart extra stress on that drive link. I don't mix parts when it comes to Stihl chain. It's really good chain...probably the best out there. But it's also made a little different in most if not all cases and usually won't interchange part-for-part like other brands do.

Ok. Thank you for teh caution and heads up on this. I guess when I get a chance to get back to the dealer, I will pick up the Stihl Tie Straps then. I gues soverall, it is not worth damaging a saw, or moreso, getting hurt, over an improper part. Thank you again.

If you use the wrong size bearing on the link from a different chain the drum sprocket and bar nose sprocket will see more wear. I would stand more to the left of the bar and chain. Don’t do it. We can buy the correct repair connecting kits.

I’m sure many of us have been brushed with a saw chain when it gets thrown off. I feel it hit my pants luckily nothing else. I had a dealer once sell me a new chain that wasn’t swaged completely. I took it home, noticed it and fixed it.

Latest posts

Back