266 Replacing 2 pieces ignition coil procedure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md1486

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 266 who run fine but when hot she dies right after the cut and hard to restart.
I think this might be the coil, as the wires are broken with a few sections without insulation over it.

Im gonna buy a AM coil for it.

So to change this two pieces coil, do I only have to unscrew old one, screw the new one and use business card to align flywheel magnet to coil ? Nothing else I should know ?
Thanks !

IMG_2145.JPG IMG_2146.jpg

That's it. If it's only the wires you can clip the wires and crimp new ones on or just slide so shrink tubing on the old wires.
Thank !Can I use shrink tubing method even if the wire seems to fray or unravel at certain spot ? Im not familiar with crimping and shrink tubing.

If the copper wire itself is in bad shape I would just clip the wire and add new wire. If it doesn't work out you can still order a new pickup and coil. One bad thing about the shrink tubing is that it makes the wire thicker and you might have a problem stuffing in the little slit under the flywheel.

If the copper wire itself is in bad shape I would just clip the wire and add new wire. If it doesn't work out you can still order a new pickup and coil. One bad thing about the shrink tubing is that it makes the wire thicker and you might have a problem stuffing in the little slit under the flywheel.

When you say clip the wire, is that means cutting it and reconnecting it to a new wire ?
I speak french and i cant find a definition for clipping a wire haha thanks again.
Im gonna try it and if it doesnt work im gonna buy a new AM one, 20$ on ebay

When you say clip the wire, is that means cutting it and reconnecting it to a new wire ?
I speak french and i cant find a definition for clipping a wire haha thanks again.
Im gonna try it and if it doesnt work im gonna buy a new AM one, 20$ on ebay
Yea, cut the wire.
fil coupé I don't know if that's how you say it

Before you ditch the old set, (a) double check the plug cable for evidence of shorting against the cylinder or crankcase, and (b) disconnect or cut off the wire to the on/off switch (of course, then you'll have to stop the saw with the choke).

Before you ditch the old set, (a) double check the plug cable for evidence of shorting against the cylinder or crankcase, and (b) disconnect or cut off the wire to the on/off switch (of course, then you'll have to stop the saw with the choke).

The wire that goes to the kill switch is already cut off. So I use the choke to kill it. But she's not running right when hot, she dies right after a cut and/or hard to restart. I thought that by replacing the coil I would exclude that option

The wire that goes to the kill switch is already cut off. So I use the choke to kill it. But she's not running right when hot, she dies right after a cut and/or hard to restart. I thought that by replacing the coil I would exclude that option
You will...for the cost of new ignition units:)
My mis-presumption. You've already isolated possible minor causes.

You will...for the cost of new ignition units:)
My mis-presumption. You've already isolated possible minor causes.

Well...new fuel line, new tank vent, spark plug looks good. Maybe a carb problem too...but the inside coils wires are starting to fray, so I'm gonna have to replace them soon anyways. I ordered one on eBay, 25$ CAD shipped. Will see.

Back