In need of a bigger saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rightwinger82

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newbie here looking for some advice. In this region about the only saws you see are stihls. I can't say I'm completely sold on them, i have a 036 pro, ms250, and an old 610 mac. We end up cutting alot of large cottonwood trees for firewood, about 15 cords a year. I would like to get a saw that will pull a 28 to 36 inch bar. I have always been attracted to the idea of a cs8000 echo, partly because of the price, and partly because i am sick of stihl. Recently i found a local guy with a mint 272xp, i have not seen it in the woods but was very impressed with this saw in my hands and it sounded wicked.

I guess what i am looking for is some advice, they always say you get what you pay for, but with what i have payed for my stihls i am open to something completely different. Will a 272 pull a 28 or 32 inch bc in cottonwood, run skip or full comp?

Not looking to start an echo vs husky war but looking for some thoughts between them because locally nobody knows much about them. Thanks

Newbie here looking for some advice. In this region about the only saws you see are stihls. I can't say I'm completely sold on them, i have a 036 pro, ms250, and an old 610 mac. We end up cutting alot of large cottonwood trees for firewood, about 15 cords a year. I would like to get a saw that will pull a 28 to 36 inch bar. I have always been attracted to the idea of a cs8000 echo, partly because of the price, and partly because i am sick of stihl. Recently i found a local guy with a mint 272xp, i have not seen it in the woods but was very impressed with this saw in my hands and it sounded wicked.

I guess what i am looking for is some advice, they always say you get what you pay for, but with what i have payed for my stihls i am open to something completely different. Will a 272 pull a 28 or 32 inch bc in cottonwood, run skip or full comp?

Not looking to start an echo vs husky war but looking for some thoughts between them because locally nobody knows much about them. Thanks

Why are you sick of Stihl?

Reason I ask is the beloved 272 is at least 25 years old. If I was looking to buy a larger saw that I needed to depend on,( in other words, I didn’t have a spare or the older saw wasn’t the spare), based on my experiences I’d be hard pressed not to buy a new saw & be done with it.

The Echo CS-800/8000 is a heavy-for-displacement/power saw. That size saw should be 95cc rather than 80.

If that’s the displacement you seek, there are better options.

And I’m an ECHO fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome Rightwinger82
I too am getting ready to buy a bigger saw to run a 36 inch bar. I had a Solo 694 90CC saw that I loved but after two shoulder surgery's I couldn't start it. It didn't have a de compression button. I have a Stihl 461 and a 36 inch bar is plenty for it. I have a buddy that has a Echo CS-8000 and it sure doesn't want any part of a 36 inch bar. You need to look at a Stihl 661 or a Husky 395. I am going to buy the 661.

I had a mint echo 8000 and it always ran but it was heavier then sin and the power isn't really there for that cc size and weight I ended up trading it and a stihl ms362cm in on a ms462 and dont miss it a bit dont get me wrong echo is great but that thing was too heavy and didnt even have a decomp valve which made it a bear to pull in cold weather

I have a table full of Echo's , sold on them.....until you go big.
I too would look at the 395.

Why am i sick of stihl? Idk, i just am not real happy with the performance of my 036, the ms 250 cuts better on anything 20 inches or less with its 18inch bar than the 036 does with a 20. Both pulling .325 pitch chain. The 250 is a fine little saw but obviously designed for occasional use, terrible air filter needs cleaned every time you fuel. I cant justify the price of a 661 to get the cubes. Price vs need i think i can do better than a stihl.

I just bought a cs-8000. Slightly used almost new condition. It has a 28 inch bar on it and I love it. Although I’m not that picky of a person lol I usually make do with what I have and that saw was a great deal. And fwiw all of my echos run great. My stihls run great when they run but they seem to have more problems than the echos. Everyone around here thinks stihls and huskys are made of gold. I just follow the good deals ;)

If the 272 is in Mint condition lie you describe, I wouldn't be afraid of it, my 266XP (Old Reliable) is 28 years old, and did just fine burying a 24" inch Bar with full comp chain in a 33+" Cottonwood.

A 390XP or 395XP would be a Great choice in a New saw.

A 390XP would be a Bit less expensive, a bit lighter, and more Nimble, and Plenty adequate for what you need, but a 395XP is well, a 395XP ;):):):)

Of course if you want Absolute Overkill, there are a couple members on here who have/had 3120XP's for sale, NIB, PHO $1,300 shipped. Balances nice with a 36" B&C:innocent:

Lots of Great choices:innocent:, it is Really Easy spending YOUR Money:D

Doug :cheers:

I think both the 272 and the 8000 are a bit undersized for pulling 28-36" bars for any extended duration. I'd be looking 90cc and up. I'm definitely far from being brand biased (I just like chainsaws) with that being said I love my ported 066.

I think both the 272 and the 8000 are a bit undersized for pulling 28-36" bars for any extended duration. I'd be looking 90cc and up. I'm definitely far from being brand biased (I just like chainsaws) with that being said I love my ported 066.

The OP is cutting mainly Cottonwood, a 28" B&C on the 272 shouldn't be a problem, I doubt that he would even need a skip tooth chain. If he was cutting Oak, yeah a 28" or longer would be an issue.

If he wants to run a 36" B&C then I would say step up to a 395XP

Now as to that Cottonwood as Firewood :(:(:(

I have burned it, but it sure isn't something that I would go out of my way for. It was better to make BTU's out of it, than make Bills for the HOA, if we didn't cut it up and haul it off, the HOA would have had to pay someone to do it, then either the HOA dues would go up, or something else would get put off

Now as to that Cottonwood as Firewood :(:(:(

I have burned it, but it sure isn't something that I would go out of my way for. It was better to make BTU's out of it, than make Bills for the HOA, if we didn't cut it up and haul it off, the HOA would have had to pay someone to do it, then either the HOA dues would go up, or something else would get put off

I imagine this is kinda the same situation you and I talked about in that other thread about the white pine in Kansas. I've been through parts of Nebraska where just about the only tree available for miles was cottonwood or willow. People burn what they can get. Around here, nobody would think of heating with cottonwood, but it's better than willow, so if those are the only options within 300+ miles...... As to the OP, I had a 372 XP and it ran a 32" bar just fine cutting oak, beech, hickory etc. Never ran a 272 but I feel like it might be a bit under powered for a 36" bar. Might be alright with cottonwood though.

There are a few other options for firewood but by and large the most common tree around is Cottonwood. I save my Elm and boxelder for the cold snaps. I own a quarter of ground and I usually just clean up whatever needs cleaned up and use it for firewood. I have a Bryant furnace outdoor wood stove so I can pack a lot of wood in the Firebox and other than the fact that I just have to burn a larger volume of wood the Cottonwood seems to suffice. Just looking for a way to make it more fun to cut, because there's no fun in the splitting aspects of it.

I run a 32" on my older 288 with no issues. Run a 24" on my 372. See lots of guys touting 7900 dolmars and dolkitas. Lot's of guys with some woods porting and they seem to run good.

Sounds like your 036 needs a tune up or a piston or something. They are one of the bestsaws ever built in their cc class.

For 15 cords I’d probably put a 30 with skip on the 036 if you can get it running strong. Not ideal at all but will work for occasional use when you just need inches.

A 660 would be nice but I doubt you can justify one for 15 cords. You can get a used husky pretty cheap though if you want a big one. I have a 288 that’s a beast for the money. IMO there’s several reasons husky is cheaper than stihl and doesn’t have near the resale. Good saws, but appropriately priced under a stihl. In your situation I’d be tempted to take advantage of that poor resale.

I have an echo 8000, about 7 years old now. I do find it a little heavy but it pulls a 32" bar through oak with ease. I can't stand the fact that they would make an 80cc saw without a decompression switch though. Cold starting in winter can be tough.

There are a few other options for firewood but by and large the most common tree around is Cottonwood. I save my Elm and boxelder for the cold snaps. I own a quarter of ground and I usually just clean up whatever needs cleaned up and use it for firewood. I have a Bryant furnace outdoor wood stove so I can pack a lot of wood in the Firebox and other than the fact that I just have to burn a larger volume of wood the Cottonwood seems to suffice. Just looking for a way to make it more fun to cut, because there's no fun in the splitting aspects of it.

If you ever get around Lincoln Ne you welcome to stop by and cut a load of hedge { Osage Orange } to perk that wood up that you call firewood. When were cleaning pastures the cotton wood, elm, boxelder go to the brush pile and make BTU's there. Its too much work making firewood to burn that kind of wood in my Garn. I just burn hedge, locust, mulberry and once in a while a little ash. I burn 10 to 15 cord a year.

You can justify a big saw regardless of how much you cut. I might cut 2 to 3 trees up a year but I have a large saw because the trunks on the trees usually are in the 30-36" range. A large saw with a 36in bar is heavy but having the power to make one cut instead of 2 to slice off a round is worth it to me. I would freshen up the 036 and then sell the other 2 saws to help fund my large saw purchase. 660 or 390/395xp would be my choice. Put a want ad in the classifies and see where it leads. I picked up my 385xp in the $400-500 range.

Ofcourse the 7900 range dolkita is a no brainer if you don't want the weight and price of a 661 or 390 but do need the power.
Still the best power to weight, stock, and forgetting the 500i to support my bias (and it is almost 2,5 times the price overhere).
It is made for about 24" I would say. But I also run it with a 36" bar when I have to.
Mostly white oak.
Not fast, but oils just enough at that length.
With a 20" or 24" it screems.
Never misses a beat, as long as I don't try to start it while having it in the off position, and I am not strong enough to keep pulling when floaded.
But that won't be different with any other bigger saw.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back