Farmertec failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex blu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I put a farmertec bigbore kit in a burnt out jonsered 2171 a year ago. Installed oem bearings and seals the saw actually ran very well until last week when it suddenly died. Tore the saw apart to find that one of the circlips broke or came out! Has this happened to anyone before... should i install a new kit. Aftermarket kits woŕry me now.20190507_020822.jpg

I put a farmertec bigbore kit in a burnt out jonsered 2171 a year ago. Installed oem bearings and seals the saw actually ran very well until last week when it suddenly died. Tore the saw apart to find that one of the circlips broke or came out! Has this happened to anyone before... should i install a new kit. Aftermarket kits woŕry me now.View attachment 734480

Go with oem circlips instead of the ones in the kit, it has happened to at least a few members who used aftermarket kits.

I always worry about those aftermarket circlips that have the extra long tang on them. That tang is added weight which, in the right orientation, could pull the circlip out of its groove at high RPM's. I always turn those so the tang is vertical. Next one I build I think I will cut the tang off completely just to be sure this doesn't happen to me too! Sorry about your misfortune there Alex. And I think TheBrushSlasher has a good point too. OEM circlips (which do not have tangs on them) are a much better option if you have access to them.

Fixed it for ya.

I just saw a link for a $105 OEM 50mm top end for these. I'm still baffled why people roll the dice with this junk.
Some people have more time than money.
$105 OEM is still probably 2 or 3 times more than a chinese version (even though the OEM might also come from China, but you get what I mean I hope).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I put a farmertec bigbore kit in a burnt out jonsered 2171 a year ago. Installed oem bearings and seals the saw actually ran very well until last week when it suddenly died. Tore the saw apart to find that one of the circlips broke or came out! Has this happened to anyone before... should i install a new kit. Aftermarket kits woŕry me now.View attachment 734480
There are post after post of guys experiencing that same failure, me included! I once had a Golf piston that the locating pin for the top ring came out, destroying a good OEM cylinder! That was years ago and I have since learned that cheaper is not always ( hardly ever, actually ) better.

Fixed it for ya.

I just saw a link for a $105 OEM 50mm top end for these. I'm still baffled why people roll the dice with this junk.

That seller has amazing deals. A friend and another member bought one of his top ends and its legit. At that price there's no excuse to buy AM.

That seller has amazing deals. A friend and another member bought one of his top ends and its legit. At that price there's no excuse to buy AM.
I bought a base gasket from him/her a while back. It was not the right part. The return went flawless and it led me to get one from the dealer. The dealer was cheaper.

I have no need for one at the moment but I almost want to order one for the shelf.

I have no need for one at the moment but I almost want to order one for the shelf.

I'm in the exact same boat. I've had the 372 top end in my cart for weeks now. It's the second time I've seen that seller sell 372 top ends for cheap. At one point they even had just the cylinder for about $80.

Irony.
I have a drawer full of OE 154/254 cylinders (including a "Nordfeller"...and never needed one :nofunny:
When I needed a cylinder for a beaten-up Husqvarna 50 owned by a guy with no money, I went Farmertec...BUT...with 2 provisos.
1. OE circlips.
2. Checked that the bore was actually true, i.e. at 90 degrees to the crankshaft.
No problems after 14 months - 3 percent oil/fuel mix.

Irony.
I have a drawer full of OE 154/254 cylinders (including a "Nordfeller"...and never needed one :nofunny:
When I needed a cylinder for a beaten-up Husqvarna 50 owned by a guy with no money, I went Farmertec...BUT...with 2 provisos.
1. OE circlips.
2. Checked that the bore was actually true, i.e. at 90 degrees to the crankshaft.
No problems after 14 months - 3 percent oil/fuel mix.
So homeboy gave ya 4x the $$ in labor than the parts cost? No wonder he's broke:laughing:

if i use a meteor piston, ill use the clips supplied, but ill generally clip most of the tang off, just leaving enough to grap with mini pliers to install. but, recently i received a meteor 42mm 346 piston, and it had stihl type earless circlips, could not get those little bastages in there. i got a bunch of oem circlips from a dealer a few months ago and used those.
but...
Just because you use an OEM circlip doesn't necessarily mean it fits the AM pin boss groove correctly.
this is a very good point.

Could some one post or send a link to where you guys get screaming deals on those OEM top ends Im gonna try rebuilding it with that.

Back