questions about you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Logger, firewood vendor and burn wood at the shop and house.

Biggest I use, or biggest that's here? Normally use a 460 or 362, but have bigger ones. No idea what engine size on some, have some 2 man saws I think are twin cylinder even.
If it counts, we cut trees down with a 8300cc saw, around 300hp and 40 tons.

Normally run a 24" bar. Have a 34" I think, use that once in a while.

i think we can get to know each other better, I forget not everyone is a logger, a firewood cutter or heats his house with wood were all different.

1. Are you a logger, firewood business or cut firewood for home, other?

2. What’s your biggest cc saw?

3. What’s the longest bar you use?
1. Saws are a hobby, but I cut wood for my parents and friends. Construction/Carpentry is my real job.

2. 137cc, 123cc, 98cc, and a few more... :)

3. 28” or 32”, but I have 42” and 50” here also.

At one time I did log and stone houses and cut for three stoves. Now just 1 1/2 stoves. Drag in some coal too. Oh and storm damage .

TS 400 and two PM 710s that need PH (Pro Help) ha.
24" and 14" circle. Mainly use 51/55 hybrids. Want my next saw to be small.
Have never sold one but did give a few away.

Been lurking around these sites on/off for a long time. Have learned a lot from it. Thank You All.

The best time of my life and the healthiest was when I was in the forest cutting firewood. No pressure, no deadlines to meet. No one pushing me to get the work out. It was the animals, me, god I love the smell of two stroke on a frosty morning, it means work is being done. Makes me feel so healthy.

1. I cut down all beetle/drought kill pines on our property. My current day job is a scrapper for the guy all but one of my saws came from via my brother.

2. My MS361 for now but if all goes well in the next few days I'll be getting a 100 hour 2100 from my brother. That is provided he gets it and the 20 hour 2100 and possibly the spool of chain at a reasonable price.

3. Biggest bar I have is 28". If you count the saw taking off into the log I was starting it on using it then it counts. If you don't, 18". I've used a 281 with a 42" bar once or twice but the largest regularly used bar is a 32 or 36 inch bar on "Big Bertha", my dad's factory full wrap pro-dogged 372 that I used to buck up most of a 95' pine I dropped a few weeks ago.

Retired Teamster truck driver.
Age 80.
Biggest saw Sachs Dolmar MX 143 36" bar
Did have a Stihl 075 36" bar sold it to an Arborist .
Saws Stihl Ms 251, 031, 028, MS260, 200T, Echo CS440, 024 Super, Husqvarna 455, Husqvarna 55, Remington Super 754, app. 15 to 20 others that will run if I live long enough to get to them.
Repair 2 cycle eq. for customers.
FS 120 with a bush blade, one FS 250 trimmers with a saw blade, one FS 250 waiting to be repaired a couple FS 80.
Use equipment to clean up property. Burnt wood 30 years back. Use natural gas and central electric now.
I have enough parts to build a McCulloch 125, just not enough time to build it.

I have 4 1/2 acres that is partially wooded. I heat the house with a stove and will eventually put one in my shop. I don’t cut down any of my oaks but I’m constantly removing cedars and elms that become a nuisance to them. Anything that’s useable gets stacked and burned in a fire pit area in a spot I cleared for gatherings. The rest gets burned for removal.

I’m an Echo fan so I primarily use my CS450 and 330EVL but for small jobs I love my CS3450. I have an embarrassing number of saws but most of them are just refurbished and added to my collection. I did however recently refurb a Sachs Dolmar 110 and I like it so much it has been added to my hoard of saws that get used. I’m also about to refurb a Sachs 115 that will give me a 53cc saw to work with.

The wood I burn in the stove is always oak and I have plenty of local places where I am permitted to cut more than I will ever need.

I am a Silviculture contractor - I do tree planting and seed collecting work, neither of which can be year-round activities. So I do a lot of saw work such as pre-commercial thinning / crop tree release / timber stand improvement, post-harvest regen improvement, and also wildlife habitat enhancement via cutting work. It is only occasional that extracting any wood generated is even possible, but sometimes I can give a few loads of firewood to my Dad. For camping all the time, I often enjoy working around what I call “the firewood buffet” most every day. I can no longer hardly even go fishing without having a chainsaw in the truck with me, nor let some suburban idiot friend try to start a smoky crap camp fire in my presence.

I run Husqy 345 brushsaws and one Stihl FS 560 brushsaw. For chainsaws I have a 562XP, a 550 XP now over 800 hours, a 346 XP probably with even more than that, and a small pile of Husqy 55s that will soon be all scavenged into one rebuilt version starting with whichever one still has the most compression.

So the longest bar I run is a 20”, and that not all that often.

Retired Teamster truck driver.
Age 80.
Biggest saw Sachs Dolmar MX 143 36" bar
Did have a Stihl 075 36" bar sold it to an Arborist .
Saws Stihl Ms 251, 031, 028, MS260, 200T, Echo CS440, 024 Super, Husqvarna 455, Husqvarna 55, Remington Super 754, app. 15 to 20 others that will run if I live long enough to get to them.
Repair 2 cycle eq. for customers.
FS 120 with a bush blade, one FS 250 trimmers with a saw blade, one FS 250 waiting to be repaired a couple FS 80.
Use equipment to clean up property. Burnt wood 30 years back. Use natural gas and central electric now.
I have enough parts to build a McCulloch 125, just not enough time to build it.

My dad was born and raised in Blue Springs. Have relatives in Tupelo. You from around there?

Wood for outdoor furnace and a few saw logs to keep a board pile for projects.
Stihl saws:
460 Magnum main saw.
045 AV that runs and cuts great but usually is just a spair. Was my grandfather’s favorite saw.
MS 390 with muffler mod because it would start to melt itself on hot days.
All 20” bars to keep it simple. Have been tossing around 28” for the 460 to buck a few big “Ys” in a landing I’m cleaning up for a buddy.

I cut primarily for home/cabin use. I have sold firewood over the years and it has been a function of doing storm cleanup and/or removing dead/dying trees which I will sell/barter. Also have a few friends who want a couple cords a year.

Largest saw at the moment is a Jonsereds 70E with a 24" bar. Unless someone is cutting yard trees like silver maple or going after big pine, rarely is more than a 20" bar needed up in this area.

Back