Vacuum/Pressure test tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4511F071-1692-423B-BAD7-C240AF760FDA.jpeg MityVac 8500 :yes:

$59.93 delivered to my door from online Wally World, I did check 2 local harbor freight stores with no luck so just pulled the trigger online

Fellas -

I need to pressure test a saw or two.

I bought the MightyVac 8500.

Need to make some block off plates for intake and exhaust. If I'm going to pull a vacuum or pressurize through one of the vacuum plates, where do y'all source the metal nipple that I need to mount in it?

Thanks

Scott

Depending on the saw, there are several alternatives. The easiest, cheapest and most universal block off plates are wedge (trapezoidal) shaped pieces of neoprene (about $12 on ebay). These are inserted between the loosened muffler and carb, then the loosened bolts are retightened. This does not give you a vacuum/pressure connection, however. If you can disconnect the impulse line so that it is still attached to the cylinder, you're in luck. Just leave the spark plug in and draw vacuum/pressure through the impulse line. if not, you'll have to block the impulse line and use an adapter fitted to the spark plug hole. I have made my own from old spark plugs. If you go with factory block-off plates with nipples, it will be much more expensive and one size definitely does not fit all.

Depending on the saw, there are several alternatives. The easiest, cheapest and most universal block off plates are wedge (trapezoidal) shaped pieces of neoprene (about $12 on ebay). These are inserted between the loosened muffler and carb, then the loosened bolts are retightened. This does not give you a vacuum/pressure connection, however. If you can disconnect the impulse line so that it is still attached to the cylinder, you're in luck. Just leave the spark plug in and draw vacuum/pressure through the impulse line. if not, you'll have to block the impulse line and use an adapter fitted to the spark plug hole. I have made my own from old spark plugs. If you go with factory block-off plates with nipples, it will be much more expensive and one size definitely does not fit all.

First saw up doesn't have an impulse line; it's a reed valve saw. I really just need to figure out where to buy the threaded metal nipple, preferably one that I can screw into a blockoff plate once I drill it and tap it for the correct threads. Is this something I can buy at the local Lowe's or Ace? Thanks

First saw up doesn't have an impulse line; it's a reed valve saw. I really just need to figure out where to buy the threaded metal nipple, preferably one that I can screw into a blockoff plate once I drill it and tap it for the correct threads. Is this something I can buy at the local Lowe's or Ace? Thanks

Most probably yes. Definitely online.

You can always use the metal nipple that comes on a Stihl MS290 or 029, it's a press in fit but can be epoxyed onto a plate after you drill the hole. They don't cost much so you can buy a bunch and use them on several different plates as needed. On Stihl saws and some others I just use a cork to block off the intake.

Any decent hardware store will have threaded hose barbs, you can also buy online from many places,

I use a vac/pressure tester I bought from HF but I don't see it on there website anymore. Its basically a knock off Mityvac. They must have replaced it with the mity 8000. It was cheap and works just fine. I also use that stihl testing block but I cut the ears off of it and now can use it for a wide variety of saws. If you get creative enough you can pretty much bolt it onto any saw. To block off exhaust ports I just use the muffler and rubber I had around, I've also made a few block off plates. Some saws you can use rubber stoppers and use the impulse line to pressure/vac.

Back