Good Bar Rail Closer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good bar rail closer? Looking for something that would be adjustable for different bar gauges. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Subscribed

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Have not seen any current bar rail closers that are not adjustable. The all look like the same design.

Put bar in vise, adjust the bearings tight to the rails, adjust depth bolt so bearings are only on rails and not solid part of bar, crank the bearing a bit tighter, pull the tool toward you and wear gloves. Might take a few passes. Check fit between passes.

If you see a version that looks like a giant weird chisel that fits over a section of the bar, has a spacer and requires a hit with a hammer, get it, much nicer.

If you have a good vise and skills just use those, same for a hammer and anvil or a stump and hammer.

I did some more internet searching and found a couple of used Silvey ball bearing type and bought one of them for somewhat less than the Chinese aftermarket clones. We'll see how well it works.

Ball peen hammer and a spacer.....and a lot of patience.

I would skip paining the bar every so often rather than
Here is my oregon one

I think this is the best rail closer so far. I’m not sure if Oregon makes these anymore.

I been thinking about designing one. I’m not sure how long ball bearings will last.

With the cheap bars from huztl we’re becoming a throw away society.

Note, if you use good clean bar lube, keep your bar squared, keep your chain razor sharp, don’t try to cut the smaller stuff at the tip of the bar, try to make use of the whole bar at times, flip the bar often, grease the sprocket nose often your bars and chains will last longer.

I learned this right away, with how to cut and make the bar last longer.

I did break a bearing on mine early on, replaced them with some good ones and they have been holding up for several years. I don't use it everyday, but when I need it it is always ready to go.

Bear in mind that you don't just adjust the unit and drag it over the bar, you have to keep adjusting and working it checking frequently as you go. Some areas may close up pretty easily and others will take a lot of effort.

IMAG1435.jpg

Mark

Single row ball bearings can tilt with some wear over time. Double row ball bearings would work better.

Back