Coolest or rarest wood you have milled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about everything I have milled will be cool to you guys so here's is a collage of cuts I put together in 2010 - done a few more since then so I should make up a new one.
The last time I check Canadian AS member Danivan had cut more species than I had but I was getting close to his number.
Mine are all Eucalyptus, but there is one Acacia a couple of Allocasurinas, a Fruit wood and a Melaleuca.
woodcomposite.jpg

A list of those I have milled that I can remember since the collage was taken includes
Olive wood
Silky Oak
Malaysian Teak.
Camphor Laurel.
Lilli pilli
Cape Lilac
Something called Swamp Mahogany
Liquid Amber
Apple

I have some small Banksia on my stash that I want to mill as soon as I feel well enough

Any reason in particular you cut this apple tree? Seemed to have been doing quite well and pretty, surely.
It was dieing. Dropped some large branches. My kids swing set was close enough I decided it wasn't worth the risk and took it down. Two truck loads to my firewood racks and one for smoker wood.

The most fun was a Meta Sequoia, it's so soft I could hardy keep up with the saw, and I got 20+ slabs out of 3 logs, and never had to touch up the chain. Black Walnut is always pretty, made some nice mantels out of Red Oak. We've had so much rain I had a couple big fires in my burn pit. I was cuttine up some odd chunks so they would burn faster. Noodled a chunk of Red Bud and it was beautiful inside, so it got save from the fire. I milled some Fir and it made a nice work bench for my wife's potting shed. Actually, the only thing I've ever milled that let me down a little was some Blue Spruce.
NR0vCSI.jpg

wgbYZJK.jpg

BoPSnn7.jpg

OkG9B2L.jpg

What size are you making mantels? I’ve got some nice cedar that will make a nice mantel
I usually mill them at 12/4 so they can be planed down if wanted. Most of what I mill is a little less than 8', because my 8' dump trailer gate won't close on 8'. As far as width, the one set I made for a friends timber framed home were 9" wide for the top, and 4" wide for the bottom.

What size are you making mantels? I’ve got some nice cedar that will make a nice mantel
I usually mill them at 12/4 so they can be planed down if wanted. Most of what I mill is a little less than 8', because my 8' dump trailer gate won't close on 8'. As far as width, the one set I made for a friends timber framed home were 9" wide for the top, and 4" wide for the bottom.

Thanks, I've been lurking around for about a year or so after I bought a chainsaw on the trade 'n post. Tools are scarce and expensive where I live, but scarce and expensive wood grows every here and there.

Back