Echo cs-650evl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khendershot88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all I was wondering if anyone here might be of some help. I just bought an old echo 650evl it runs great only problem is the rewind doesn't always like to catch. Everything is tight so I'm thinking the pawls on the flywheel need replacing. If any body could help me locate a set or any other ideas on how I could fix the issue, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Hey all I was wondering if anyone here might be of some help. I just bought an old echo 650evl it runs great only problem is the rewind doesn't always like to catch. Everything is tight so I'm thinking the pawls on the flywheel need replacing. If any body could help me locate a set or any other ideas on how I could fix the issue, I would greatly appreciate the help.
Do the pawls move freely? Does the recoil have spring tension and work smoothly while removed from the saw?

My 660EVL does that sometimes if I pull the cord too quick.
I haven't looked at it because it hasn't been an issue with starting it. But I assume there is some kind of spring action? and maybe the springs are weak?

It sounds like it should work fine. I’ve got an early 330EVL and the starter still works as new.

I would spray a bit of WD40 on the spring and the pivots on the pawls and get it operating as smoothly as possible. Then put the starter back on the saw and see if you can get a different result.

So tried lubbing everything up and made sure everything move smoothly and as it's supposed to but it still skips. It only grabs correctly around 1 out of every 4 or 5 pulls. I suppose I can still get it started but it's a pain in the ass and the sound is nerve racking.

So tried lubbing everything up and made sure everything move smoothly and as it's supposed to but it still skips. It only grabs correctly around 1 out of every 4 or 5 pulls. I suppose I can still get it started but it's a pain in the ass and the sound is nerve racking.
Hmmm. Are you sure the cup and the pawls are in good shape? I would pull the spark plug and remove the screws from the starter. You can hold the recoil in position and pull on the starter and see if you can hear anything or feel anything.

The cup appears to be in good shape, the pawls could look a little better the appear worn but nothing horrible. I've been able to find the cup available online but no luck on the pawls.

Latest posts

Back