Cross Performance MMWS MS660 cylinder port picked ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would recommend either checking the bevels on all aftermarket jugs or get the Dremel with a ball stone bit out and run a bevel around all the ports on an AM jug. Just about every AM jug I have seen needed a bit of corrective work to be safe to run., one set may be good enough to run but the next will be needing some if not a lot of work, their quality control is not very good.

No more to the story than that. Picked the ring on the exhaust side. Pretty disappointing considering I was under the impression they were a good product. After the fact I could see it was a sharp edge. My bad I suppose for using the junk to start with.
I've been running a 660 with one for over a year now. Nothing junk about it. Sounds more like you made a mistake and didn't check everything. Don't blame a company for your mistakes. I suppose meteor , hyway and oem cylinders are junk also.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Sometimes a bad one gets through though, I would hope randy(@Mastermind Worksaws) is made aware of this because his company name is on it too.

They are known to have a bad exhaust floor chamfer. It has to be cleaned up.

It’s been found but I’m unsure if the newer offerings have improved the flaw.

It is not great that a product should have a flaw and still be available. Many that purchase don’t have the ability to find or fix.

Don’t mean to be a Richard Cranium, but you do get what you pay for. A new OEM 660 cylinder ported by a pro is a $500 item. At 1/5th the cost, one takes their chances.

I’d contact Bruce @HL supply. He is an awesome guy and I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what happens.

They are known to have a bad exhaust floor chamfer. It has to be cleaned up.

It’s been found but I’m unsure if the newer offerings have improved the flaw.

It is not great that a product should have a flaw and still be available. Many that purchase don’t have the ability to find or fix.

Don’t mean to be a Richard Cranium, but you do get what you pay for. A new OEM 660 cylinder ported by a pro is a $500 item. At 1/5th the cost, one takes their chances.

I’d contact Bruce @HL supply. He is an awesome guy and I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised at what happens.

That is exactly where it was. It jerked a piece of plating off and went from there , eventually breaking a ring and locking up.

It was really sharp and I admit I should have noticed it.

Just so much equipment in and out , have three torn down now waiting on parts. Eleven last week.

Think I am moving in to the if I can't get the OEM cylinder in shape just walk away camp. No money in it.

I've been running a 660 with one for over a year now. Nothing junk about it. Sounds more like you made a mistake and didn't check everything. Don't blame a company for your mistakes. I suppose meteor , hyway and oem cylinders are junk also.

Well, good for you.

This should go as a take heed thread, check each and every port for bevel and smoothness, no matter if they are AM or OEM , before assembly or suffer the consequences. On two different cylinders I found little balls of plating material that dislodged with light fingernail pressure off the inner transfer walls, if it had come loose in the running engine there would have been damage.

And you missed that . You must be a part changer and that it. If you would of cleaned it up to begin with I bet you wouldn't have that big chip you caused the DAMAGE. So here you go. Buy a new saw or pay someone to fix yours. I'd be to ashamed if I done that to take pictures and show everyone that I'm a dumbass so go figure . So here you going or do I need to spell it out for you !!!! I have a friend with a tree removal business has 5 660 with same cylinder they out perform a stock oem and when I purchase them they were only 79.00 each. Watch some more YouTube videos.

And you missed that . You must be a part changer and that it. If you would of cleaned it up to begin with I bet you wouldn't have that big chip you caused the DAMAGE. So here you go. Buy a new saw or pay someone to fix yours. I'd be to ashamed if I done that to take pictures and show everyone that I'm a dumbass so go figure . So here you going or do I need to spell it out for you !!!! I have a friend with a tree removal business has 5 660 with same cylinder they out perform a stock oem and when I purchase them they were only 79.00 each. Watch some more YouTube videos.

You are just a genius obviously.

Maybe Cross could take some of that extra $100+ they charge and put a note in the box saying we really suck at finishing our product. Please do it your self.

The AM stuff certainly have their problems but if they had just a little bit better quality control and charged say $5. more per unit to prevent this sloppy tolerances problems I bet they would sell just as many units. Trouble is the AM producers are making parts they have no idea what they are used for, they would need to find a trained inspector that knows what each part needs for fit,finish and use.
If we as mechanics are going to use these AM units then we need to take a bit of extra time and inspect or correct them ourselves. I have an older 066 running a HL cylinder and piston, I cleaned it up 8 years ago and it needed some remedial port reshaping, beveling and casting flash removed but it has performed very well ever since. I did use a new OEM piston pin and circlips as it was a known issue way back then.

I did use a new OEM piston pin and circlips as it was a known issue way back then.

I used the OEM clips and the correct installation tool on this one to avoid that issue. And then this, LOL.

I ordered an OEM kit this morning. I rebuild a lot of concrete saws for this contractor . So, I'll say sorry for the inconvenience and be done with it.

Back